Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flake-free black coating on silver

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    hmmmm getting something that won't wear off is a bit of an ask, really. Any surface which is exposed to skin or clothes rubbing it will eventually wear down. Even patinated bronze will lose its colour in time.
    I agree. I think they are more accurately described as antique-ing solutions, in that they are meant to mimic years of natural darkening, leaving only areas of wear highlighted.

What is more there is an optimum darkness beyond which the coating becomes less stable, except in examples shown by Caroline with deep recesses, which are unlikely to be disturbed.

Being a sucker for new things, I shall get some Noirit when I'm next in Hatton Garden and report back, unless someone beats me to it. Dennis.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it Dennis. I've become a bit neurotic about a piece of keum boo that I put into the gallery 'if you sell it please wrap that part in tissue away from the chain in transit' not very likely I'm afraid. As you say my curved pieces hopefully won't be prone to wear although I do have a Dr friend who would be likely to collect food in hers and not notice!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I do have a Dr friend who would be likely to collect food in hers and not notice!
    Well some foods are known to enhance patination, notably eggs and onions. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well some foods are known to enhance patination, notably eggs and onions. Dennis
    I'm sure she could manage that Dennis

Haha, that made me smile Caroline ;D

I look forwards to your results too Dennis!

The only permanent black colour (other than enamelling??) would be plating with rhodium, such as this at Suttons....http://www.suttontools.co.uk/gold-pe...s-1.html,...if you have the equipment or know someone who does, or can??!! Then again, plating will wear over time, but more slowly than LOS or platinol.

Thanks folks for all the suggestions.

I may have to try out the Noirit Black Oxide solution and see if it produces the results I want.