Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello - again :)

Red face Hello - again :)

I thought I would reintroduce myself after being away from the forum for about a year (I think). Its been a busy year and I know its a huge risk but I am joining the Jewellery School in September this year (providing I get the student finance I have applied for). I secured the place for last Septembers entry but had to defer as I had problems with my employers authorising my sabbatical (initially they agreed but as soon as I got an offer it my employers backtracked). I have spent a year working hard in the same job, saving up money and still making jewellery in my home workshop. I have done a lot of thinking this last year and a lot of soul searching. I attended the birmingham Jewellery and Watch show and spoke to many people and loved the whole experience. Everyone I met spent time talking to me offered advice, encouragement and warned me about how difficult an industry it is. I dont feel deterred, I feel i want to get stuck in.

My job, although secure to a certain degree, I'm getting bored with sadly the job has changed dramatically over the past 5 years (as many jobs are thesedays) and sadly has become very boring (i hate that word) and the Doctor I work for doesnt appreciate anything I do, always criticises and goes out of his way to ensure I am always in the wrong I cant win - I want to use my brain again and I want to feel appreciated - I work for the patients and i love to help them and I love the conversations we have and although I feel I should be satisifed as its the patient that is central I am not actually happy and I need to try something new. I have come to the conclusion that I need to try and do something I love to do and enjoy. So in Septmeber I will be joining the Jewellery school (if as I said before my student funding comes through) and I am excited and I know it is going to be hard and a culture shock for me but I want to give it a go -even if it means I have to go back into the NHS at least I will know I tried. Sometimes you just have to take risk in life - I am scared, excited and wibbly wobbly inside ha ha! I am frightened of failure and hope that doesnt hold me back but propells me forward to succeed!

Anyway thats me. Hello!

Hi Vanessa
    I don't think I was here the last time you were or at least I hadn't joined in until fairly recently. I hope your funding comes through and you meet your new challenges. I seem to know a few people now who have left nursing to become jewellers, I wonder why that is?

Hi Vanessa. Good luck with the funding.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Hi Vanessa. Good luck with the funding.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Vanessa
    I don't think I was here the last time you were or at least I hadn't joined in until fairly recently. I hope your funding comes through and you meet your new challenges. I seem to know a few people now who have left nursing to become jewellers, I wonder why that is?
    Thanks both. I'm a secretary rather than a nurse but we both feel the same I am sure - I feel deskilled and unmotivated. I need to try something new. If I have to go back then I will do so knowing I tried. I'm quite excited by the prospect of a new challenge.

Sometimes a risk is worth taking Vanessa, it sounds like you have given it plenty of thought too, it must have been a very tough year doing something you no longer find fulfilling, yet knowing the huge risk your taking!! Good luck to you and good on you for taking that risk,....as the saying goes,....if you keep on doing what you're doing, you'll keep on getting what you got,.......hhmmm, that doesn't sound quite right, but I think the essence is there!!

I hope the funding comes through and wish you every success, and make sure you keep in touch on here!!

Tabby xx

(also ex-nhs!!)

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Sounds like it could be your time to do something for you. I took the opportunity to leave a well paid job last year. It has been very hard, but I love what I do and wouldn't change it. sales happen, but they are small and sporadic. However, I have had more sales since taking this route than I ever did as a hobby.

Good luck xx

Thanks all. My grants and so on came through and so I am starting my course in September. What a huge decision it has been to make but I'm so excited. There's so much to learn and explore and I look forward to it. If it doesn't work out then I'll go back to what I do now. I will keep working for the nhs in my holidays so I don't lose those skills there. at least I won't die saying what if... I've downloaded an app on my phone so should be able to keep intouch much better now

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

That's great news Vanessa!!! Good luck with the course. I'm in the jewellery quarter a couple of days each week (though not for the past couple of weeks due to having shingles .....but hopefully back and raring to go in a week or two.....

Thanks Tabby xx hope you feel better soon shingles horrible, my daughter had it last year Tabby, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do? I can't wait to get started at the school I'm so excited

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what you mean Vanessa, 'what do you do!!" lol, well I make jewellery ;D.....well to the best of my ability anyway....I was one of those once working in the NHS, these days, I feel like I had a lucky escape!!!! I'm based in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter a couple of days a week, and the rest of the time, I work out of my workshop in Staffordshire. I think that links to my website will appear when I press post, so you can see my work there, (which reminds me, I have some updating to do ) Any help I can offer, you're welcome to!!

Good luck with your course, I'm not surprised that you're excited!! I look forwards to hearing how it's going (and yes, shingles is blinkin' awful!!!!) xx