Thread: Hi.. London calling…

Default Hi.. London calling…

Hi folks,

I first registered here many years ago under the username ‘SilverPlayer’ but haven’t posted anything in a very long time. I lost my password, changed my ISP, old email address is now defunct, hence I’ve had to re-register. However, I do follow the forum everyday and have picked up many a good tip from you talented folk.

During the day, I’m a web developer/test engineer. In my free time, I work mostly in silver metal clay but also work in Sterling silver, in particular chainmaille and have been doing so for around 4 years. I am a fervent advocate of Kate McKinnon’s techniques using silver metal clay and suggest anyone seriously contemplating using this medium to invest in her Sculptural Metal Clay Jewelry: Techniques and Explorations.

Together with more metal clay work, I am working at improving my silversmithing skills and also in time, would like to experiment with adding colour to my metal e.g. patinas, vitreous enamels etc.

All in all, I look forward to learning and sharing!

Regards,

V

Welcome back Vi

Welcome to the forum.
    By some amazing coincidence Kate McKinnon's book just arrived through my letterbox this morning, was very drawn to her style and the way she puts work together. Have only done polymer clay previously and thought I'd have a play with the metal clay. Look forward to seeing your work

Thanks for the welcome, George and Emma!

Welcome back!!!

Welcome back probably missed you first time round as I'm fairly new

Thanks Emma!

Good news on getting the book!

Kate’s techniques are sound, simple and effective.
    What you’ll find out when you start working with it is that there are differences between metal clay and sheet metal however, using those differences together with the correct handling/firing of metal clay and post-firing work hardening, it is possible to make enduring designs strong enough to be worn regularly and of assay quality - Kate’s book and advice can help you to achieve this safely, with no mess or waste - and hopefully, you’ll have fun too!

I have to wait until I get 5 posts up, but as soon as I have, I’ll put a link to my website where you can see some of my work.

Regards,

V

Thanks for the welcome folks!

Hi V,

Fellow Londoner here

Welcome!

I just realised that its been more than 4 years that I've been working in silver metal clay, more like 6 years, because Kate's book didn't come out until 2010 and I'd been using silver metal clay for at least 2 years prior to that

Regards,

V