Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really odd commission, ethical dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebo Von Gaz View Post
    is there a difference between politics and morality?
    interesting question in the current climate.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Telling a potential customer that your moral standpoint is superior to theirs isn't something I can ever imagine being well received.
    No, it wouldn't be, but then if I refuse something on principle, then I'm not going to want to work with that person again anyway, so I'm not bothered about hurting their feelings.

it's unnecessary too, I'm hardly going to end up with him stroking his chin and saying "you know what, you're right, I shall change my ways forthwith". I'm not after a confrontation or a massive and largely pointless debate with him, I'm just too busy to take the work on right now. I have some jars to sort out or something.
    I agree it is pointless and no one will change their mind but it was people keeping quiet and not challenging that resulted in the holocaust.

But then my field of work is inherently political and I tend to ascribe to the view that the personal is the political, so naturally I'm a tad biased

Hadn't thought about the whole anti-nazi memorabelia laws in Germany, he might be asking me to do something he cant legally get a german silversmith to do. It just doesn't feel right.
    If he is in Germany/Austria then you can refuse the commission on the basis that it is illegal.

Until you know what the customers understanding of the words are this is all hypothetical and may well be quite innocent on his part

There is a FB page called volk sippe not sure what to think because it pertains to be heraldic and then it changes when studied at
    Last edited by CJ57; 12-06-2014 at 01:08 PM.

My husband was stationed over in Germany for 12 years while serving in the British Army, and he seems to think that it is something to do with family and Nazi's, but his German isnt that good and not to be relied on. However, if it were me, I would tell them you just havent got time to do it and its not the type of thing that you make, and tell him not to darken your doorstep again.

Go with your gut feeling, if it feels wrong it probably is, and you are unlikely to feel happy and do your best work under those circumstances.

I'd also use the get out of being snowed under with other work at the moment or some other excuse, purely as not to cause some kind of confrontation or potential ill feeling

Yeah, it would be a shame to take something on I feel bad about and then not have time for something I want to do later. sod it, he's going to have to find someone with the time and resources. Goodbye gong banging anti semite, hello rest of my life.

Ok I asked my German brother in law about this, just quoting your initial post, and this was his reply:

You are absolute right with your assessment! This is a hard core nazi guy asking you to do make something like that. "Normal people" don't need or want something like this. If you make that guy happy you will get a lot of Nazi follow up business, that's for sure. I'm glad you asked.

Hitler's Third Reich was prolific in its production of medals, badges and other kinds of memorabilia (badges with the words Volk and Sippe on among them), and there were many workshops involved in making them, some employing highly skilled craftsmen. Some of those workshops are alive and kicking today, though I'd imagine they'd not be too keen to discuss their activities in the period 1933-45.
    My guess is Ebo's punter is either some kind of deluded supremacist, or he wants a very rare item reproducing because he is a collector and/or dealer in those sorts of things.

There you go, from sandra Tingle - it's illegal, which is why he's over here and not getting it made at home.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Sandra, thank you and and please thank your BIL from me when you get the chance.

The guy hasn't got back to me with further clarification, he probably knows it's dodgy.

He's asking me to do something which is in very poor taste in this country and illegal in his own.

Yuck.

I rather think he can do one.