Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really odd commission, ethical dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Yes, but in some cases I'd be cautious about stating why you're not making it - no time, not the sort of thing you're working towards, anything other than "it goes against my principles". A) It'll antagonise and b) you may not legally be able to refuse it on those grounds.

Alternatively, put the price up so high that you can afford to assuage those principles.
    I don't think there is a legal basis for not refusing. If asked to make wedding rings for a gay couple, maybe, but I don't see why political affiliation means one cannot refuse.

I had a commission request for something from someone who was deeply shady and I used the high price thing to get out of it. Big mistake. Never try to second guess the depth of someone's pockets.

As a cautionary tale, when I was a kid my mum had a pub in Soho. One time I was propositioned on my way to visit her. I told my mum and she said "next time, tell them they couldn't afford you" at which point the local madam piped up "last thing you want to say, because everyone has a price". I wish i had recalled those words when I was offered that commission.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I don't think there is a legal basis for not refusing. If asked to make wedding rings for a gay couple, maybe, but I don't see why political affiliation means one cannot refuse.
    Yup, that's one of them. Religion, race - you can't turn them down out of principle without exposing yourself to possible prosecution. If it is against your principles, find a less inflammatory reason for not doing it.

this isn't a religion though, the reasons for turning it down are political. and the would be client has no recourse to the EU as Austria and Germany explicitly ban the sale of nazi-related merchandise.

And yes, I'm a bit bombastic, but I do think that there are times when one must draw a moral line. Otherwise stuff like this creeps into the mainstream (see all the stuff about Britain First) and becomes acceptable.

Yeah, everyone does have their price, the temptation would be for me to get him to pay for a nice set of runic lettering stamps, but every time I looked at them I'd feel a bit meh.

I'm proud of the work I've done over the last couple of years, it's amatureish, cackhanded and odd but at it's never been something i've worried about compromising my ethical standards with or hurting anyone by making. I think I'd like to keep it that way if I can, I'm not saying that there is no circumstance under which I wouldn't make bling for wallys but this isn't it.

That said it might still be totally innocent.

is there a difference between politics and morality?

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    this isn't a religion though, the reasons for turning it down are political.
    As I said, "in some cases". And when it comes to drawing a moral line, there's always going to be a cost associated.

In all cases, I'd try to find a less inflammatory response than it being against principles. Telling a potential customer that your moral standpoint is superior to theirs isn't something I can ever imagine being well received.

it's unnecessary too, I'm hardly going to end up with him stroking his chin and saying "you know what, you're right, I shall change my ways forthwith". I'm not after a confrontation or a massive and largely pointless debate with him, I'm just too busy to take the work on right now. I have some jars to sort out or something.

My brother in law is German, I'll ask him his thoughts on the commission.

And in answer to politics and morality, those two words just don't go together in my experience!

Correct, this is nothing to do with discrimination on the grounds of race, religion. sexual orientation etc.
    I would be blunt and say you hadn't heard the words before and when you looked on google you found 'kith and kin' and stuff and some Nazi stuff too which makes you a bit worried about the latter.
    It may turn out to be his titled family's motto or something and you'll soon be up to your bezels in commissions
    If he is german then I think there are anti Nazi laws in Germany so he will understand totally your concern
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thanks sandra, that sounds helpful and is really appreciated.

I'm not remotely worried about discriminating against the oppressed minority that is Nazi sympathizers, I'm sure they'll struggle on.

Hadn't thought about the whole anti-nazi memorabelia laws in Germany, he might be asking me to do something he cant legally get a german silversmith to do. It just doesn't feel right.