Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Etsy Questions

[QUOTE=EmmaC;67392]I *think* the distance selling regs are changing a bit on 13th of June and buyers will then have 14 days to return items, I'm not totally sure of all the changes but I would think there would be something in Etsy's UK and Ireland support bit.
    QUOTE]

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s-guidance.pdf

A bit of light bedtime reading!( actually its not that bad)
    After a couple of people mentioned this, I had a trawl and found this Government Implementation Guidance note which may be helpful.
    If I am reading it correctly it seems that the Distance Selling Regs 2000 are actually being replaced by the Consumer Contracts (Information Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations. I guess any reference to regulations in Etsy Policies will need to reflect this now.
    Sections D and H seem to be the most relevant and as Emma mentions the cancellation period extends from 7 - 14 days.
    I expect the DSR already covered these but there are some interesting exemptions for bespoke and customised products as well as things that are sealed for hygiene. Does anyone one have a source of single use sealable transparent bags for earrings?

I'm beginning to feel really glad about starting this thread although ignorance was quite blissful before

Tim

Tabby, I only 'liked' your FB page the other day when the thread it was in got bumped. I only use FB via my husband's account to spy on the kids but they have now deserted it for something newer and more oldie repelling I have got your brooch in my timeline and a couple of Wallace's posts as well, so they are coming through on my (OH's) page and we have a fair few liked pages as well.

Tim, I love the anticlastic bangles but I am wondering about the pricing. Some of it seems like it should cost more to make.

I tried Etsy first and got nothing. I tried Folksy and got lots of views but not a single sale. I have now rephotographed everything, pulled all my various bits in boxes out and finished those that needed finishing and had everything hallmarked (even the underweight stuff) and I am now about to embark on revisiting Etsy. This time I am going to offer international shipping (hopefully get some American interest), btw anyone got any tips on who to use for posting abroad? The bit I'm finding hard is, since I am starting from scratch again, deciding on prices. I don't want to appear cheap but I also don't want to price myself out of the market.

I always use Royal Mail & (touch wood) have had no problems with them.
    Everything is sent International Insured + Tracking. The maximum I have paid is around £10. But it's easy to get a price by going to the Royal Mail website.
    In the beginning I used to include shipping, not any more. I think for most people buying online +P&P is accepted now.
    I have shops on Folksy & Etsy, but Etsy brings in the most sales & interest.
    Good luck

Another Devonian, whereabouts are you Tim, I am in Exeter. Bovey last time I went there was a bit quiet, but saying that the weather wasnt great either. We are going to foreign parts this coming weekend, Wells, Somerset. I have been told its quite good, but will let you know later what happens. I have thought about Etsy but feel a bit unsure as mine is a hobby and I dont want it to become full time as I too am retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Your shop looks great Tim! Really good photos and descriptions! One tip - vary your listing titles more. If you start every listing with "ring..." then the only searches you'll get found in is anyone just searching 'ring'. It's more likely that people will search for "flower ring" or "fish pendant" or "textured bangle". I think the first word/phrase in your title is quite important for search so try to think like a shopper...

I find that the Seller Success emails are really useful for these kinds of tips - if you login to your profile you can select which emails you want to receive from Etsy. The Seller Blog is also good. Neither spam you too often so it's manageable keeping up with reading them.
    Thanks for that Victoria,
    Have altered all my listings and added a couple more. so will keep an eye on shop stats to see how it goes.
    I think I spent too long working on engineering maintenance databases where everything had to be input just the same or it got lost in the ether somewhere!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    Tim, I love the anticlastic bangles but I am wondering about the pricing. Some of it seems like it should cost more to make.
    Thanks for the feedback and compliment,
    Like Binraker, I find pricing a bit of a minefield especially when using new techniques (cant ask the customer to pay for correcting mistakes and lack of speed)so its always useful to hear from others with more experience.
    When I looked at how I priced the anticlastic bangles, I realised I hadn't included hallmarking packaging and an allowance for tooling etc.
    Also looking at other items on Etsy, mine did seem a bit low.
    Have upped them a little so hopefully nearer the 'sweet spot' of not to cheap and not too dear. Always receptive to further feedback.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Another Devonian, whereabouts are you Tim, I am in Exeter. Bovey last time I went there was a bit quiet, but saying that the weather wasnt great either. We are going to foreign parts this coming weekend, Wells, Somerset. I have been told its quite good, but will let you know later what happens. I have thought about Etsy but feel a bit unsure as mine is a hobby and I dont want it to become full time as I too am retired.
    I'm 'ere just down the road in Tavistock Pat.
    We hit the Bovey fair on one of the better days weather wise and there was a good turnout.
    Like you I don't want to become full time as I struggle to fit in my other interests (including my wife I have recently been told, although she helps me a lot with Etsy)I chose Etsy because it seemed one of the easiest to set up and they have an optional 'Direct Checkout' facility which doesn't cost too much and deals totally with customer payments. Their sales commission is also quite low.
    I find the most time consuming part is the photography which is why I only have 15 items on there so far. Need to buy some props like ring stands and a bust for pendants soon to make photos easier and quicker.
    I've only made one sale since April, but this thread has generated more helpful hints and tips than I ever expected so hopefully over a period of time I'll increase my Etsy shop exposure and sell more.
    I also need to look at increasing to a global market instead of just UK. But one step at a time for me.
    All the best
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    (Btw, Tim.....you might not have posted a picture of yourself here.....but there is one of you there...)
    Thanks for all your good advice and information Tabby.
    Re the picture ........its not my best side but better than a blank space..................or maybe not!
    At least Wallace will understand my comments about hair if she see's it.
    Also Wallace if you do see this one, How do you insert the 'Etsy' link in your signature so that it doesn't show the whole hyperlink?
    I've had a go at putting my own signature and link in, not sure how it will turn out.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

hi Tim,

you need to go to the

Forum Actions link at the top
    click that to scroll over the list until you see the Edit Profile link
    click that then look on the list of available links
    you will see 'My Settings' in one of the boxes on the left - here you will see a link where you can 'edit signature' . Follow the scripting like you do here on the forum posts. Just put in the word you want, highlight it, then click on to the add link button, paste your hyperlink, select your font size, colour.... etc. I am still messing with it, made mine a little too big. oops!

Etsy is a very competitive market, and postage just adds to the costs. But, with Special delivery costing a minimum of £6.40 and international Signed for £8 - it is not an amount I can ignore. I could just add it to the price and no one would know, but it does not carry a VAT amount and I already pay and charge so it is cheaper for the customer to pay the cost of it as a separate figure. (Don't ask about the VAT, it has been the bane of my business since accidentally registering for it many years ago at the advice of an accountant!)
    Last edited by Wallace; 25-06-2014 at 04:06 PM.