Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraver needed please!

Default Engraver needed please!

Hi all,

I've been sent some designs by a customer wants some rings engraving...it looks an interesting project that I'd like to do but I need someone who can engrave as I can't! (yet another thing I'd love to have a go at but don't have time!)

I've attached the sketches I've been sent - they've specifically asked for the engraving to not be too deep to avoid anything getting caught in there...not sure what a standard engraving depth is? The rings will be silver.

Can someone recommend an engraver who could do this please? I know there is someone on here who's an engraver and posts regularly but I can't remember who! If you engrave and are interested please could you reply to this or private message me to give me an idea of costs and timescales please?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nick ring design.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	6243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monique ring design.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	6244

Thanks!
    V

Anything of that detail in silver won't last well - you need fairly bold cuts to hold up to wear & tear, so I'm not convinced that the peregrine is wise. The line engraving is easy at least.

If the engravings were deep enough, you could fill with enamel which would preserve it better, but yeah, that is really tiny for a ring. The bird would just be like a speck, I reckon.

Ooh, I could use a dot punch - it's a peregrine, but it's *very* far away
    (Sorry Victoria!)

They've told me their budget and can probably afford 9ct white gold - presumably this would mean the engraving is longer lasting?

haha Peter! thanks both - I'll let them know that the falcon might not work or would be very small...

From the sketch, it looks like the bird will be 2mm high. I don't think I could draw a recognisable falcon with a 0.3mm pencil that size.

One of my old mates can engrave anything you want, he is based in Canterbury, check out his website here; http://www.keithraesengraver.co.uk/

James

Thanks James - have been in touch with him and he's replied already

Hi Victoria,

We could laser engrave it for you which would give you the detail for the falcon that you need at that size, although I think the outline detail could do with thickening up a bit.

Plus you get your GoJD discount don't forget :-)