Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .....work in progress....

Default .....work in progress....

Took a few piccies (quick shots on my phone) of some rings and settings for shows that I'm doing later this year......obviously some shanks are needed......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140609_183519.jpg   20140609_183530.jpg   20140609_183552.jpg   20140609_183620.jpg   20140609_183633.jpg  

They look nice.
    Hopefully we'll get to see the finished articles?
    I'm particularly interested as I'm trying to learn various setting techniques at the moment so I find work in progress seriously interesting.
    Tim

I like a work in progress too. How much do you think the top of the rub over walls by? (if you don't mind me asking)< I've fancied the gold ones, but never used them.

Looking good so far, would love to see the finished ones! Are the settings bought in or did you make them?

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Looking good Tabby!

I do love work in progress shots.

Can't wait to see how these turn out, you have some beautiful stones to work with there

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

They all look so good Jill. Looking forward to the next views.

Sorry for my slow reply, I haven't had chance to 'check in' for a day or two!!

Yes, I'll post the finished articles, I'll try to remember to post the next stage (with shanks and more finishing) tomorrow.

All the settings are made by myself, some of the stones are 'odd' sizes, so I make all my settings.

Do you mean the thickness of sheet I use Lydia, generally 0.8mm, when my finishing was less accurate (filing, buffing particularly), I used 1mm sheet, to allow for correction!! If I have a particularly challenging stone, I'll opt for 1mm, to give myself some scope for 'adjustment'!! If you mean, how much do I take out of the wall to set the stone, I judge on leaving 0.5mm metal visible all around the unset stone.....does that help??

Just as a matter of interest, the white gold topaz setting was made on a 28 degree block, rather than the more usual 17 degree. And (since these photos), I am (very) unhappy with the detail I've put in the iolite rub over setting (to enable 'light'), and really cross with myself,.....cause it was my own blinking inpatience just doing it, rather than taking the time to measure and mark out and double check.....which is absolutely critical in these types of things.....WHY did I 'just do it'....I know I should, measure, mark and check!!!! GRrrr!!
    Last edited by Tabby66; 12-06-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Here are pieces, moved on to the next stage, all ready for setting now!! And a change of plan for the Iolite setting.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1662.jpg   IMG_1664.jpg   IMG_1672.jpg   IMG_1675.jpg   IMG_1690.jpg  

thank you! Looking good!