Thread: Please help getting in a metal induced spin!

Default Please help getting in a metal induced spin!

OHello Everyone,
    Would really value some help on this. I've started making jewellery over the past few months with a view to sell. I haven't put any for sale yet but on some of the jewellery I've made I've added Tibetan silver spacers. I really thought this was ok but then I read that it could contain lead and goodness knows what else and does not meet with the EU directives.

As I've now decided not to use Tibetan silver any more I do now need an alternative. My jewellery is costume jewellery and though I will be using some solid silver metal parts I feel it will be too expensive to always use sterling silver whenever silver is included. Some of the findings I'm using are silver plated but I'm now not sure about using them as getting very confused and tied up and concerned about meeting the EU directive re nickel, lead etc.

So my questions are:

• What is a good alternative to Tibetan silver apart from using sterling silver?
    • Are silver plated findings ok?
    • Recommend trutstworthy suppliers of metal spacers, beads and findings?
    • Anything else I need to do to cover me with regard to the EU directive?

Very many thanks for your time...
    Last edited by lolabead; 05-06-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Have you looked through Cookies supply of beads and findings, they supply solid silver and plated items. My best advice would be to make sure that you only buy from a legitimate and well reputed supplier.....such as our hosts!! Other places to look in the UK are Kernowcraft, Bellore/Rashbels, I'm not sure who is most competitively priced, but worth a browse!! (I'm sure others will know of more suppliers to check out).

Hi tabby,
    Thanks for your superfast reply! Yes I will look into your suggestions

If you are using plate, avoid anything saying it's flash plated. Flash is a much thinner coating of silver, really primarily intended for making display pieces, and it will wear off super quick. On some people within a couple of wears, you may find yourself open to a lot of complaints.
    Agree with Kernowcraft as a good supplier. Afraid I don't use any plated findings as my sister is exceptionally allergic even to some of the supposed nickel free stuff once the coatings wear. She can't have any costume jewellery, although that could be a ruse on her part. When I asked what she wanted for her birthday she asked for a platinum ring, hmmmm!

A cost effective way, which is what I do, is to buy sterling wire and make your own findings. 1m of 0.8mm wire is around £4 and will make quite a few pairs of ear wires.

If you're intending to sell also make sure you're properly covered with product liability insurance just in case someone does have a skin reaction.

Also have a look at Beadworks UK they sell a lot of silver and non silver findings

Yes to the above suppliers too, but I'd add Palmers to the mix. Plus, I'd suggest not mixing sterling silver with plated in the same bracelet/necklace earrings. You could make a selection of either sterling pieces and plated pieces. I'd agree with making your own findings too. .8mm wire for earwires is best ( use half hard to wind mine).
    Jules

If you are looking to add large silver-coloured beads or spacers into your designs, than a suggestion would be to use the greek ceramic beads that are silver-fused on top - they are affordable and lightweight and as the base is ceramic they don't have any nickel or lead in them. http://www.beadsite.co.uk/greek-metal-coated-ceramic/
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

wow so helpful thankyou so much everyone. Have posted to a few forums and waited days with no response, very disheartening when you just want to get on with it.
    Absolutely LOVING the Greek beads Kymbi!!!

Word of warning with the Greek ceramic beads... the silver rubs off quite quickly on those, I used to use some and had to stop when I saw a few wearing through. I then did a test by giving a few a light sand and they very quickly showed the copper underneath...

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com