Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12ct gold

Smile 12ct gold

HEY you guyssss, haha just a question answered appreiciated, I have been working and looking into inquarting gold, but I really would just like to know if I had 10grams of 12ct and want to revert it back to 6ct gold then should I just add 30 grams of silver to it???? I don't think this is the right answer though because woulden't I have 40g of 3ct gold?? does anyone know the process and the correct formula? does anyone have a table to go from so I can have a look at it myself, T.I.A

Inquartation is used for refining gold, defining it as 6ct or 3ct is meaningless for that.
    http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/wgc-refining.htm covers the process in some detail.

all I want to do is make 12ct into 6ct with 10 grams I don't actually want to refine it, how much silver should I use? I know its 3 parts to 1 part but how do I find out how much pure gold is in 10 grams of 12ct??
    Last edited by Paget Jewellery; 02-06-2014 at 05:29 PM.

If you have 12ct - which is not a valid hallmarkable level and would be marked as 9ct - then you have 12/24 parts pure gold. If you really, really want to turn it into 6ct - again, not a hallmarkable level and below even 9ct purity - then you would need to double the total mass. Id est - if you have 10g of 12ct, you have 5.0g of gold. To create 6ct, you need a total of 5.0 * 24/6 of alloy.

The question "why" remains.

its just that I'm melting 9ct and 14ct together to produce 30 grams of 12ct, the ring im making will take up 20 grams and I suggested that the other 10 grams be used to make something of, so 5 grams X 24 divided by 6 just to be clear???, also is there a way if I have 10 grams of 12ct to revert it to 9ct instead?
    Last edited by Paget Jewellery; 02-06-2014 at 05:54 PM.

If I understand this correctly you are only ever going to be able to have it hallmarked as 9ct gold as Peter said so why don't you make it all the same ct or am I missing something?

well CJ57 I was just thinking is it better to have 30g of 6ct gold and make something, or use the 12ct gold to make one item (10g) or even still extract the fine gold from it as I understand I would have 5 grams? and make something dainty from that?

If it is over 1g, for you to sell it as gold it has to have a minimum purity of 37.5%. If you wanted to make shakudo I could see the point of alloying below 9ct but you wouldn't be selling it as gold.

That was my point but more professionally put by Peter, why make gold you can't sell as gold when you can make a standard of purity from the gold that you have that can be assayed and sold as gold?

12ct piece of jewellery it is then I'm a novice jeweller lol, what the B'jesus is a shakudo? it sounds awesome