Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a different torch set up: Suggestions?

Default Need a different torch set up: Suggestions?

I have a propane tank and regulator plus an oxycon set up to run a little torch. However my little torch is not a smiths one and is clearly a steaming pile of poo. It struggles to purposely melt jump rings even, something which my cooks torch does by accident.

So, after struggling (and failing) to solder on some tube to a collar to bezel/tube set some stones on it, I realise that I have to get sorted. What can I get that utilises my oxycon and propane, plus regulator etc so my initial outlay isn't completely down the tube?

Buy a proper Little Torch?! Should be the bees knees with your propane/oxycon setup!
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

You're very welcome to come over and give mine a try some time.

Quote Originally Posted by camalidesign View Post
    Buy a proper Little Torch?! Should be the bees knees with your propane/oxycon setup!
    I'm not convinced it would actually be big enough for my needs even if it did work as it should (I'm assuming it is faulty/fake because it is so rubbish… it looks identical to this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smith-Little.../dp/B000T43L30 Like the 2* reviewer, the valves seem to be the problem).

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    You're very welcome to come over and give mine a try some time.
    Hmmm well I have to be up your way end of next week or early the week after (off to milton keynes again tomorrow ) so I'll drop a message in when I know when I'm coming up and see if you are around. It would be good to be sure it's not just that I'm doing it wrong or that it would be better than something more basic. For the life of me though, I can't see how those tiny tips can get anything sizeable hot.

Mine looks just like that one and it certainly gets very hot. The biggest things I make are cuff bangles which are about 3cm wide. Would love to see you Liz.

High;y recommend the real (little) thing Liz!!!!

I have the same set up as you and mine gets veryhot!!

It's not really just the size of the flame (although that obviously matters!) but the temperature of it. You can even get a casting head for the Little Torch, so can get plenty hot enough. I have known a few people drill up the nozzles a tad to get them bigger but not sure how dodgy this might be! It is the one torch a lot of the "pro's" use, it's certainly on my wish list (which is loooooong....). Perhaps the oxycon is not working properly? Does it give enough oxygen to produce a hot flame etc? Or perhaps it is just the torch handle itself? I would go see Carole if you get a chance and see hers in action, perhaps bring a piece you are struggling with at home and give hers a try just to see if it is very different? Even bring your torch and hook it up to Carole's system?

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

I've had a thought but it may berubbish, lots of them are
    How do you use your oxycon?
    Do you switch it on and leave it running for hours or whatever, this is how they are best used.
    They are designed to be used for long periods at a time.
    A recon oxycon would struggle to concentrate oxygen over about 94% pure.
    My own one takes about 3 or 4 minutes after I switch it on before it produces a concentration of Oxygen which will support combustion rather than just pump out room air which blows the flame out.
    Whilst it is 'concentrating up' I just open the Oxygen valve on the torch and vent it through.
    If you are switching it on and off as you want to use it - it maybe that it never reaches a decent concentration of Oxygen to produce a really hot flame.
    Hope that makes sense.
    I have a knock off little torch and 5 tips and a rose bud burner. They all produce a very hot flame of varying physical size.

Liz I use my old model Little torch fitted with the largest number 7 nozzel for most large jobs. But I use an oxygen cylinder and I don't know if the oxycon is the same. For very large heating and soldering jobs I use my Sievert torch which is attached to the same propane cylinder as my Little torch via a dual outlet propane regulator.
    My old Sievert torch is a bit large, if I was buying new I would check out this model;
    http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo...FckBwwodoRsA5g

James

Same here - but with an oxycon. Soldering large bracelets with the #7 is OK, but I'd rather get it up to heat faster so I usually use a Sievert for those. They're a bit more indiscriminate.
    For *really* large stuff - soldering vessels for example - I have a Flamefast T4.