Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bezels

Default Bezels

Hello everyone, I'm busy experimenting with a couple new projects for June's competition. How do most of you create bezels for small (2 or 3mm) round cabochons? I hate trying to fiddle around creating a bezel with silver strip on something so small. Cooksons sells bezel cups but nothing that small. I've seen people use what looks like silver tube, I'm assuming I'd drill about halfway down to create a ridge for the cabochon to rest. Would that be a good alternative?

I would use silver tube. It is useful to have a stock of various size silver tube sizes. If you do have a stock of various sizes then you can slip a piece of smaller diameter tube inside the setting size tube and use it as a stone seat if you want an open back setting, or I have just used a jump ring as a stone seat inside a tube setting if it is for a closed back setting.

James

Cooksons also do this style http://www.cooksongold.com/Cast-Ring...rcode-NV1-S229 which I've found to be quite easy to use.

Ah thanks guys!

I meant to add that a 300mm. length of 4mm.OD x3mm. ID silver tube costs circa £27 and would be enough to cut 50 bezel settings. ready made settings for 3mm. stones cost circa £5 each so do the maths.

James

That's true James but sometimes beginners find ready-made settings easier.

Sandra, you can get low-priced pre-fabricated 3mm bezel cups here.
    Actually, once you've made a few bezel cups yourself from a strip and base-plate, even doing very small ones is not that difficult. As long as you get the length of the strip right and the solder joints are clean and sound, the rest should be plain sailing. If you've soldered the strip and find the fit is a little tight, insert a brass or steel rod into the closed loop and roll it evenly on a bench block; this will stretch the metal and create more room. If you've soldered the strip and find it's too roomy, you'll need to size it down, or cheat and choose a slightly larger stone.

I have a load of those bezel cups and find them awful to use. If anyone can get on with them and wants to take them off my hands I'll do them for half what they are going for on the site Aquarius linked to.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I have a load of those bezel cups and find them awful to use. If anyone can get on with them and wants to take them off my hands I'll do them for half what they are going for on the site Aquarius linked to.
    What don't you like about them? They work absolutely fine for me.

I make my own, I order strips of various width fine silver sheet (I prefer working with 0.4-0.5mm thick sheet instead of what is usually sold as bezel strip which is 0.3mm which I find too thin) so I always have a "depth" that is suitable without having to cut every time. I find a lot of bezel cup settings too flimsy, and expensive!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com