Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bezels

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    What don't you like about them? They work absolutely fine for me.
    My main gripe is that they don't fit the stones I bought them for very well. They also have curved corners which is fine on the outside but a problem on the inside because stones won't sit flat. Finally they are generally insubstantial feeling. I really wanted to love them because it would have saved me a ton of time for a project I had in mind, but I suspect that I would be quicker making tube settings for the smaller stones and regular bezel settings for the larger ones.

Funnily enough I've just finished making a ring with 2.5mm & 3mm opals around the band. That's the smallest stones I've tried to set yet & to be honest, it was fine =)
    I used scrap pieces of my bezel wire & just took my time, using a jump ring mandrel to help me form the shape. They were soldered straight on to the band as I needed to drill a tiny hole through the middle of each setting to help light come through under the opals.
    The result wasn't perfect as I'm still very much a newbie but using bezel strips for this is do able

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver opal ring one.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	6200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver opal ring two.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	6201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver opal ring three.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	6202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver opal ring four.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	6203
    Sian Williamson

Lovely ring!
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

I make small bezels, if you buy some metal knitting needles, wind the bezel wire around it, makes a perfect fit.

I like your ring Sian. The opals work really well with that antique look. Dennis.

Great thread with great ideas, I was wondering how I was going to set some 3 mm cabs I bought by accident due to some kind of spatial dyslexia I have when ordering online.....it arrives and you think how small??? I've struggled a lot trying to take bezel wire down evenly for smaller stones so might try some sheet next time

I have trouble with bezel strip, it keeps melting, um bit too much heat, but would like to try fine silver, Cookies only sell half hard, do you use that or get it from elsewhere please.

Quote Originally Posted by camalidesign View Post
    I make my own, I order strips of various width fine silver sheet (I prefer working with 0.4-0.5mm thick sheet instead of what is usually sold as bezel strip which is 0.3mm which I find too thin) so I always have a "depth" that is suitable without having to cut every time. I find a lot of bezel cup settings too flimsy, and expensive!

Carin

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I would use silver tube. It is useful to have a stock of various size silver tube sizes. If you do have a stock of various sizes then you can slip a piece of smaller diameter tube inside the setting size tube and use it as a stone seat if you want an open back setting, or I have just used a jump ring as a stone seat inside a tube setting if it is for a closed back setting.

James
    I also use tube for pretty much every size of round stone, faceted and cabochon. I can never be bothered to make bezels!

Thanks for the lovely comments, it's a good confidence boost =D
    Patstone, with the too much heat issue on such tiny bezels I use my old cooks flame on the lowest setting & keep moving it around in circles to keep the heat even on the whole bezel. I made 6 3mm's in one sitting (medium solder) and didn't melt any =)
    I think solder paste might be better on these next time though, instead of fiddling with tiny solder pallions.
    Sian Williamson

My problem was my bench is in the windows facing the sun. It was so nice to sit in the sun doing something I love doing.