Thread: cuff link assembly

Moseley, Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default cuff link assembly

Hi guys.....I'm just terrible when soldering cufflinks to the findings.....its a 50 50 chance that I will not damage the spring mechanism..... Ive decided I'm now gonna use the ones that you assemble after soldering....only trouble is I'm not sure how to put them together...any help would be great peeps...thanks so much xx

Hi Kate,
    You solder the 'U' arm to the back of the cufflink, then rivet the moveable arm (the pins to rivet are already in the arm and holes are already in the 'U').....if you need further explanation, just ask

Tabby x

Hi Kate, you can use insulated self closing tweezers (curved ones are best) to hold the U part by one of its arms and rest the base of the U where it is to be soldered . Then rest the broad part of the tweezers on the edge of your block and you will not rely on steady hands while soldering.
    http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...th+Curved+Tips

Riveting is best done with a small riveting hammer on a steel block,and needs a little practice.

Here are some links to past threads on the subject:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ight=cufflinks
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ight=cufflinks Dennis.

Hi Kate, I would use a T shaped soldering clamp to hold the U sections in place while soldering, for clean easy soldering I cut a small square piece of solder, flux it, and place it on the centre of the cuff link back, then I clean an flux the U shape cuff link section and using a T shaped soldering clamp (made from stainless steel or titanium strips as mentioned before) I sit the base of the U shape on top of the solder square piece and when the solder runs it doesn't leave a mess on the back of the link to clean off. As for riveting I use a small jewellers hammer and a square flat punch. I grip the punch in my bench vice, and then after the cuff link sections are fitted together hold the square pin onto the flat punch and tap the opposing end with the hammer a few time, then turn the cuff link over and repeat on the other end, keep turning and tapping until you are sure it is secure, it will not need much hammering. Then polish.

This is one of my home shaped T soldering clamps if you have not seen them, sorry if this is to much info.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33 T shaped clamp example sheet.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	6198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24 T clamps in use, script page.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	6197

Alternatively, if you use those self locking tweezers to hold the assembled-type cufflink below the swivel end while soldering, the tweezers will take heat away from the mechanism and you shouldn't have any problems. I really only use the riveted type when I make enamelled cufflinks.

Thank you so much for your advice......I was already using the cross locking tweezers ....maybe my torch is too hot.....sometimes I do them perfect but other times I ruin them lol...its pot luck....

I used the assemble your self ones and I'm so happy I did...they do take a little more time but I'm glad I've got the peace of mind that I'm not gonna make any expensive mistakes.....I think with the other ones I was so worried about ruining them that I was doubting my self so much that it was actually making me ruin them if you know what I mean.... Any way thanks so much xx