Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Aluminium

Default Help with Aluminium

Looking for some help with potential H&S considerations with aluminium jewellery (if there are any particular ones). I've already posted elsewhere on the forum but no response (original thread link: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5963).

Apologies for banging on about this but could really do with some info if anyone can help out.

Thanks,

S.M.

99% sure there are no H&S considerations with wearing aluminum. If you're using chemicals to colour it you may need to check the chemicals, but pure ally should be fine.

My only reservation is that it will probably leave dirty marks on skin. Natural anodised aluminium is lighter and prettier in colour, so even if you pierce, or punch out shapes from a sheet of that they are less likely to do so.

The other point you will no doubt know. It will need to be entirely cold connected. Dennis.

Ah cool thanks. Thought it should be ok. I've spent long enough in its company while making panels and come to no harm so far, but have thus far had no experience of it as a jewellery material.

S.M.

@Dennis: You're right, the dirty marks thing is a concern but merely unpleasant rather than harmful. Will possibly investigate lacquers or some such to combat this.

S.M.

Have made up a bracelet test piece and am now wearing it for a while to see what happens. Am still the right colour so far but will keep you all posted!

S.M.

I don't think aluminium leaves dirty marks. Admittedly I only use anodised aluminium but I know a lot of people do make plain aluminium bracelets, so it can't be an issue.

I use both plain and anodised, and have had no problems at all with dirty marks, provided the finished piece has been nicely polished, of course!

Thanks for all the info so far guys My test piece was ok so have now launched upon manufacture of first proper bracelet.

S.M.

Hi all

Our supplier advises that all non anodised aluminium leaves traces on the skin whenever handled and anodising aluminium helps to 'seal' it. There is no existing or upcoming legislation controlling the use of aluminium with regard to skin contact (unlike nickel for instance)

regards
    Rob