Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding ring Cast

Love your "no nonsense" approach, Peter! And even better, if the guys doesn't like it, you would probably be able to send it back...

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

I type less when I use a virtual keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well briefly:

The rolling mill will roll down metal into sheet thicknesses of your choosing. It will also texture sheet by adding textured metal, fabric, plastic or paper when rolling.

In addition there will be a limited number of grooves, of which the square ones are the most useful. These can be used for converting wires, squarish offcuts and wire ingots, into square wire. These wires can be converted into rectangular wire, between the smooth rollers, or used as a starting point for an infinite variety of thinner wires using draw plates.

The draw bench as the floor standing one from Cookson http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...ery=draw+bench, allows you to fix the drawplates at one end and pull the wires through, using tongs and a winch. By using different plates in succession, you can make non standard wires, as for instance cushion edged square wire.

There is also a wall hanging version, which is much cheaper, or you can just use a winch, a rope, some tongs and a vice. Dennis.
    Thanks for the info, Dennis. That simplifies things. I did read somewhere that rolling mills can produce round wire and even half-round (two strands passed through back to back). Possibly those sorts of rolling mill are not the norm, though.
    I admire your improvised draw-bench. I imagine it gets the job done. And the bench can no doubt be used for other purposes as well, so space can be saved in the workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Thanks for the info, Dennis. That simplifies things. I did read somewhere that rolling mills can produce round wire and even half-round (two strands passed through back to back). Possibly those sorts of rolling mill are not the norm, though.
    No, they don't exist, you are talking about a round draw plate. Or maybe you're messing with my head?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No, they don't exist, you are talking about a round draw plate. Or maybe you're messing with my head?
    Unless there's a joke I'm missing, technically not correct. Half round rollers for rolling mills have been around for years - most durstons have 4 D groves on the side and even my cheap mill has a changeable D top roller which you use with the flat bottom roller. I also believe (for those with cash to burn) that Durston has now brought out a rolling mill that produces completely round wire.

Durston mills with extension rolls do half-round as standard; other profiles (such as oval) are available as well as pattern rollers.
    I'm sure I've seen a round roll somewhere but I can't think where.

Added - OK, I was writing while you were posting!
    Last edited by ps_bond; 30-05-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myosotis View Post
    I also believe (for those with cash to burn) that Durston has now brought out a rolling mill that produces completely round wire.
    Absolutely correct - http://www.durston.co.uk/lan-multi/prod-m-round150.php

I also like using the half round rollers to make nearly oval wire for comfort fit/court rings - roll it through once and then turn it upside down and roll it through again. This will give you a good curve for the outside of a ring and a flattened-off curve for the inside

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Sorry about that then, I was wrong. Dennis.

To be fair, I think it's quite new - and I have been doing a lot of reading up on rolling mills recently.