Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casting Photos

That is so amazing Dennis!!!! How did you make it? Wax carving? Thanks so much for your help everyone, this forum has taught me soooooo much! x

Yes it was carved from wax, not an experience I enjoyed, so after attempts at a few other carving projects, I did not continue with it. The reasons were partly that as an amateur I get more satisfaction in making things entirely myself, starting with a limited stock of sheet and wire.

Also I found wax difficult to translate into ideas and the carving is slow and fiddly to correct if like me you keep making mistakes. Ultimately I enjoyed it more carving from silver directly, as in this dog whistle charm and sea horse pendant. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dog Whistle Necklace.jpg   Dog Detail.jpg   Sea Horse Pendant .jpg  

Wow, they look just like casting's Dennis. They must have taken forever!

I am very impressed with your skills Dennis, that is really nice work. The dog whistle pendant in particular is absolutely flawless. Can I ask what tools you used to carve the silver?

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaC View Post
    Can I ask what tools you used to carve the silver?
    They were made from really thick sheet, first cut out with a saw and then carved with burrs.

The sea horse started straight and the tail was curled at the end. The fins were thinner and soldered on.

In the case of the dog the carving was done in two halves right and left to have easier access to the legs. One half had the head aswell and the other had the tail. Once carved they were soldered together.

I am extremely impressed with your seahorse Dennis, especially since I JUST made my own seahorse for a pendant I am working on. My texture isn't anything nearly as interesting as this! When you say carved with burrs, is it by hand or using a pendant drill?