Thread: Enamelling kiln

Default Enamelling kiln

I have been incredibly lucky to be given an enamelling kiln. It was bought in the 1970s and was turned on once but never used - I have been given a variety of powdered enamels and chunks of glass to be ground and a large seive and seive tops, it has a two prong fork thing (presumably to remove the hot item from the kiln). I have only ever used efcolor 'enamels' - which i like but find the purple a bit clumpy. I have no idea where to start with real enamels I'm really excited to have this kiln but no idea what equiment I need or how to go about ensuring I do it the right way - I am open to experimenting and learning but need somewhere to start. I need to invest in a temperature gauge as it doesnt have one - I have no idea what temperature it runs at.

Oh one other thing - I am interested in keum boo technique (excuse possibly dodgy spelling) can I do this with the kiln I have? I have read that a hot plate is required as too much heat will allow the gold foil to disappear into the silver - I think I have answered my own question! ha...

Any advice welcome

Thanks
    V

My advice would always be to find a class. If that's not possible, I would buy Linda Darty's book which is the best. I would start by experimenting with enamel on copper.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    My advice would always be to find a class. If that's not possible, I would buy Linda Darty's book which is the best. I would start by experimenting with enamel on copper.
    Thanks Carole - good advice

You have answered your own question re the keum boo Vanessa. With regards the enamelling, I have 2 books, one of which is the one Carole has mentioned, I'll check!!

Hi I've been really busy but I've had a go at enamellling ...ok so its not exactly a masterpiece but it was fun and I didn't use my kiln because i haven't got a workplace yet for it as it gets so hot so I used my torch. But I enamelled a ring I made and it looks ok for a first attempt ... just got to figure out how to upload a pic of it...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Has the pic upload worked? I took a quick pic of it whilst in my car waiting for someone.

Picture looks fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks sue x