Thread: Bench Vises

Default Bench Vises

For years I've had a piddly little vice that clamps to the side of my somewhat rickety bench. I'd really like to get a bench vise, but the only place I can attach it to this cupboard that I have: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90206501/

It's an extremely heavy and solid cupboard, but I wouldn't be able to bolt the vice to it, as I can't drill all the way through or get to the underneath of the top section. Can one screw a vice into the top panel (is there a certain thickness it needs to be?), or do they have to be bolted?

Also, can anyone recommend a good bench vise that can be screwed down instead of bolted? Doesn't have to be massive, just big enough to whack stuff around a triblet and put the fancy ring bending tool I'm coveting into.

Thank you!

I have two of these, one to hold triblets, one for general faffing and holding my bench peg. Mine are attached to my manky old tabletop
    (the one on the right here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1185315_10151851100520469_1120748575_n.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	6191)

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-0098

Can those be screwed down as well as clamped Lydia? I don't have an edge I can clamp one to, so it needs to screw into the cupboard top.

May I suggest that you buy a nice sturdy Record vice, bolt it to a sheet of thick plywood with countersunk bolts and then screw the plywood to the top of your cabinet. Check out Screwfix for vices and suitable bolts with nuts, free next day delivery when you spend over £50. See; http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/work...ices/cat831408

James

Sorry, misread. I will look when I am next in, but think those ones are screw.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    It's an extremely heavy and solid cupboard, but I wouldn't be able to bolt the vice to it, as I can't drill all the way through or get to the underneath of the top section. Can one screw a vice into the top panel (is there a certain thickness it needs to be?), or do they have to be bolted?
    I think James has come up with the solution, but why on earth can't you drill through or get to the underside? Is it the rolling mechanism in the way?

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I think James has come up with the solution, but why on earth can't you drill through or get to the underside? Is it the rolling mechanism in the way?
    Yep! I'd have to dismantle the whole thing to get the mechanism out, and it took me forever to build the stupid thing in the first place.

Thanks James - I knew there must be a way around it!

Figured it must be some kind of mind bending ikea jiggery-pokery.

My vice isn't even fixed. It's screwed to a board with rubber feet, so that I can move it out of the way when not needed. But then I'm averse to bashing things on vices.

If you do buy one though, consider some fibre jaws to go with it and your work and tools will be unmarked by the steel. Mine is a three and a half inch vice and quite big enough for me.

The first picture shows my old fibre grips after ten years of use. The second is of the replacements bought this year. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fi Fibre Jawed Vice.jpg   fi Fibre Jaws.jpg