Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ring bending?

How can you make collets with it please.

I use it to bend a strip on edge before rolling it into a frustrum which I solder & finish off on a collet block.

Well, I would go about this completely differently!!!

Similarly to Bin raker, I would drop a piece of paper around my mandrel and pop the engagement ring over it. I would draw along the edge of the ring to give me the line of the fitting edge. I would draw a parallel line at the desired width of the band and then cut this out of sheet of the appropriate depth. I accept Dennis that there will be a small amount of wastage with this, but having first drawn and measured it out, the width of the sheet is exactly what is required. The advantages are that you get a piece of sheet which is easy to form around the mandrel, risk of plier marks is reduced, you will not get deformity of the metal being caused by bending metal in a number of directions (causing different thicknesses around the setting bend in particular).

If I was doing this in gold Carole, I would make the model in silver (allowing for shrinkage) and have it cast in gold.

Hope this is helpful ;D