Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PUK welders

Default PUK welders

I'm definitely not having one .......... but it doesn't hurt to ask how easy they are to learn for a complete idiot?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'm definitely not having one .......... but it doesn't hurt to ask how easy they are to learn for a complete idiot?
    ahahaha! I see you jonesing one from here!

Not me! It's purely an academic interest

"It's not for me, it's for a friend"?

Watching this thread with interest.

Also absolutely not planning on getting one either...

If someone were, however, planning on saving up for one, are there any courses one could go on to learn how to use this marvellous machine?

Asking for a friend, obvs.

There are; I think Holts do one (I know they do a laser one) and there was one of our quieter members posted that they do courses recently. I'll see if I can find it.
    Andrew Berry recently bought one - it's likely he'll feature it in one of his videos.

I don't *think* there's anything the PUK can do that the laser can't (plenty the other way round though); it is less affected by the reflectivity issues of silver - obviously - but still has the issue of thermal conductivity to deal with.

The laser ones are like a billion pounds* more expensive though, right?

*may not reflect actual price of laser welder.

Even though I'd mainly be using it for silver in the short term, just from watching the videos on Suttons' site I can see it would make several of the things I make regularly (and vastly undercharge for in terms of time) significantly quicker and easier to make. Also, the ability to quickly tack pieces in place before soldering is worth the cost alone I reckon!

I haven't got one :-(
    But at the show at the NEC last year there were several people selling them.
    I watched one chap, and then got chatting, I was very clear that I had no intention of buying but was just intrigued as to what they could do.
    He insisted that I sat down and had a go - so i did. I Just spent 5 or 10 minutes playing around and it did seem very easy, you get into a sort of click whoosh rhythm and it's very satisfying.
    Working through the scope was harder than using the actual welder.
    I reckon if you bought one from a half decent supplier they'd chuck in a days training.
    I can't remember who it was who let me have a play, but they were flogging fairly high end machines, I think they were 5 - 10 ŁK with all the bits and bobs.
    Last edited by trialuser; 15-05-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Not me! It's purely an academic interest
    We've been talking about them too ... and I see Walshes in Birmingham are having a demo day next week.
    Jules

If you go along, ask them about the comparison with lasers - they are selling Orotig welders now as well.