Thread: Hallmarking - Standard of Metal

Default Hallmarking - Standard of Metal

Hello ! I wanted to ask a question about the Hallnote that you send when having pieces hallmarked.
    I am just beginning and was wondering if someone could shed some light on the matter.

When in the hallnote it asks for the primary standard of metal I am unsure of what to put. I am using Silver but I do not know whether it is 800, 925, 958 or 999... (these are the options given on the hallnote), I buy my silver from cooksongold.

How can I find out this information?

Thank you

Martina

Hi Martina,

It should say what the fineness is on the invoice from cookies, but I think they only do sterling (925) and fine (999).

To add to Liz's list, 958 is Britannia, but the London Assay Office note already tells you that.
    As far as I can tell 800 is found mainly in vintage silver from mainland Europe, as are other proportions. Dennis.

800 is supposed to be particularly spectacular for reticulation; it's available from some of the US suppliers. Hover & Strong make it, for example.

That's interesting. I did have a reticulation craze once, but being of a conservative cast of mind, soon went off it. It just went against the grain to take a mirror like sheet which even comes protected with plastic and then deliberately shrivel it up. Dennis.

I would check with the supplier of the silver......

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That's interesting. I did have a reticulation craze once, but being of a conservative cast of mind, soon went off it. It just went against the grain to take a mirror like sheet which even comes protected with plastic and then deliberately shrivel it up. Dennis.
    I have been known to do that without trying in the past Dennis