Thread: Green smoke when soldering with sterling silver

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Green smoke when soldering with sterling silver

Hi everyone.

I'm new in here and still learning how to solder. I solder in sterling silver, but have some problems I would like some help with. I just want to let you know that I'm from Denmark. If there is something I'm writing that doesn't make sense, please let me know and i'll explain it in a different way

First of all, I started out soldering with plated silver, which I found out was a bad idea (the jewelry got a nasty black/brown colour.. we all know why) but the part where I soldered it together was looking good.
    So I brought sterling silver and start soldering.

The first problem I got was that the torch set the silver alight which makes a green smoke and a nasty smell.
    The second problem I have is the place where I solder doesn't look very nice. I have to do a lot of polishing which doesn't even help that much - it still looks very homemade - maybe too homemade for my state. When I used plated silver the place looked very nice. I have tried to experiment with the different settings on my torch but I still can't make it look good.

I would like to know what causes these problems and how to solve them. Any suggestions and tips more than are welcome!

Kind regards
    Bine
    Last edited by Bine; 12-05-2014 at 09:59 AM.