Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bails again

Default Bails again

Do most people here make their own bails? I see it's something that can be purchased by the pack. I'm feeling the urge to do just that. For some reason I think this should be the simplest of all projects but yet I have the hardest time with bails trying to make something that's somewhat interesting. I spent a couple hours today fussing around trying to make a bail using D shaped sterling silver wire and it ended up in my scrap pile of shame anyway. I subscribe to "At the Bench" at which there is a video on bails, mostly on types that can be purchased though. Which is why I am asking if most people make their own or buy them?

I always make my own. I (and others) have had very bad experiences with bought in bails, usually with the ring either breaking off or opening.

Oh shucks, just as I suspected. I made a jump ring and filed the soldered side flat and soldered it to the top of my pendant, now I'm making a bail to go through that. I could just use another jump ring but I think that looks a bit cheap. I really need to get the hang of doing this. I've made them with silver sheet but the look of using D shaped heaver wire looks nice, if only I could get it right.

I buy mine from Euromounts. They do require finishing though as they're in their cast state. They suit me fine as they're completely plain.

I make most of mine in some way whether it's integrated into the design or it's square or round tube or 1or 2 half rings on the back of the pendant

Why not show us an unfinished pendant Sandra and the chain you intend to use. You'll soon be up to your neck in suggestions. Dennis.

Thanks all, I can envision what I want but it's making it turn out the way I want that's the problem, and then the worries of reheating the entire piece when soldering the bail. Just wondering what other people do!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    --and then the worries of reheating the entire piece when soldering the bail. Just wondering what other people do!
    Start with hard solder and finish with easy, or sometimes extra easy if I am really worried. Dennis.

Sometimes a tube soldered on the back to take the chain can look very nice, or take a look at Lexi Erikson bails on YouTube for some good ideas where the bail is actually part of the design. Food for thought......

Theresa

I noticed this bail today on an entry in the Cookson's design of the week. It doesn't look like it's soldered, I hadn't thought to do it this way. It's funny how much time I spend thinking about what sort of bail to make, you'd think it should be the most simple part. Someone needs to create a book with nothing but bail designs and how to create them, along with templates. I haven't found anything like it yet! In fact "Nothing But Bails" can be your title. Hurry up please, I need it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	6209