Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bails again

I need the 'Nothing But Bails' book too! Unfortunately with me they are the last thing I think of, usually make something then wonder how I'm going to attach it!
    That bail looks very much like a commercial one, although I could be wrong

Looks like this one: http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/...rcode-NVM-003X
    Even just looking through the ones available to order are good for getting ideas of what works. I think even if I was buying one, I'd be soldering it (but maybe I'm used to being climbed all over by various children and animals and nothing unsoldered would last on me!)

Yes you are both right, looks like that's a purchased bail. I think it was probably also meant to be soldered at the join. Actually I've been looking at bails everywhere on the web but most are uninspiring. Having said that, I spent at least a couple hours today creating a fancy, delicate bail for a pendant I'm working on, only to decide it detracted too much from the pendant itself so I'm just giving it a plain bail made of D wire. Oh well.

I still would love a book devoted to bails! Look it already has 2 buyers

Bails which overlap at the back don't need to be soldered unless you have a young infant who tugs at necklaces. The real problem with loose fitting bails is that the chain gradually works round until the fastener is at the front.

I spend a lot of time on public transport sussing out peoples' jewellery and trying not to stare, but that can definitely be unsightly. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I spend a lot of time on public transport sussing out peoples' jewellery and trying not to stare. Dennis.
    So it was you then, that person they featured on Crimewatch the other night?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    Yes you are both right, looks like that's a purchased bail. I think it was probably also meant to be soldered at the join. Actually I've been looking at bails everywhere on the web but most are uninspiring. Having said that, I spent at least a couple hours today creating a fancy, delicate bail for a pendant I'm working on, only to decide it detracted too much from the pendant itself so I'm just giving it a plain bail made of D wire. Oh well.

I still would love a book devoted to bails! Look it already has 2 buyers
    If you Google Lexi Erickson I think she has a downloadable video about bail design, but I don't know what's in it or how good it is. I think there's a clip on youtube as well. I get regular emails from Jewellery Making Daily that often mention it

3 buyers Lol Dennis =D
    Sian Williamson