Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yesterday...

Default yesterday...

I was mostly making chains.

I've never made chain before, but I have this mad idea for one which will basically be made from odds and ends. I do actually have more links to add on, but I suspect that in rolling the wire I over did it and they are too thin (I rolled a short length of 2mm through the small square roller. I got interesting wire, but not terribly substantial!).

The links are a mix of 1mm square wire wound with twists onto a triangular mandrel and then bashed with a hammer and roughed up with a file before cutting into links. Those are connected with an odd end of 2mm roundish wire. I think those will be patinated.

One of the connectors is a pearl which is caged in twisted square wire which had been patinated beforehand. I might make another one or two but with some of my daughters' baby teeth inside.

At this rate, I figure it will take me about two years to get a wearable length, but it's fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20140510-00041.jpg   IMG-20140510-00044.jpg  

Cool!

I've never tried making a chain either - it's on my ever increasing list of things to do one day.

I think you need to be either, obsessive, bored or insane actually.

I actually think all of the above. I've made a few in my time but I usually lose the will to live. They're great for students though, as it keeps em happy all day!

well I wasn't doing it all day, I was making a couple of rings plus working on a closing device for a collar but It was fun seeing if I can makes links like ~this~*

*insert whatever harebrained idea you choose

I must be weird becase I actually find it quite exciting to see a chain grow in front of me when all the bits are ready to be solderered together!

I don't make chains often, only for one off necklaces really. Here is an example of one which didn't take very long, must make more like this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	999_NE_016_2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	6103

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

ohhhh this are nice links! I like that. is the cab that Fordite stuff?

I like chains to either be totally inconspicuous or interesting objects. My daughter was examining it today and asked what else was going on it. I said I was going to put her baby teeth in a spiral. She said I was weird.

How did you make the square links please as I would love to make a chain for me like that.

I enjoy making chains and can get quite meditative when doing chainmaille (unless it's a *really* complicated weave). Handmade chains always add something a bit special. Here's a bracelet that I made after buying a set of different shaped mandrels and getting slightly carried away and one made while learning how to do loop in loop chains.

Name:	GeometricTriangle2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	6105

Name:	FluoriteLoopinLoopBracelet.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	6106
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

I do get into some kind of trance when making chain - and often find I've made too much. Having said that, I've got a commission involving making 40" of 10mm hammered links soon. I may go a bit funny. Or my eyes will.
    ETA: Re the baby teeth, I've set one of my daughter's, one of my son's and one of my wisdom teeth into resin ready to be made into a pendant. I figure someone might use it to clone us in the future ;-)