Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Down To It.

Default Getting Down To It.

We’re well into May and it was time I made my first belt of the year. I have shown something like this before, but here is a pared down version, for a man who likes them plain.

The buckle has few working parts and this idea can be adapted to almost any design. The notched post, or peg takes all the push-me-pull-you strain of the leather strap, which is attached to it at both ends. The distance between the holes used is the belt size.

The bridge at the other end of the buckle, accommodates two leather thicknesses and acts to keep the buckle aligned.
    Centre back I have added a metal strip to press one thickness of leather into contact with the see through design. This is only necessary when the back is recessed instead of flat.

For negligible leather skills, you only need to operate a punch, available at most hardware stores, a metal ruler, a snap off craft knife and some dividers. Traditionally the holes for adjustment are made at one inch intervals. I take care to keep them in the midline using the dividers. Any light marks on leather show briefly and then conveniently disappear.

As for the strap, you can cannibalise a readymade belt if it is long enough, as I have done here. Alternatively Le Prevo Leather, sell three straps in colours you may choose and generous lengths for under eleven pounds, plus postage and VAT. I would suggest split cow hide, 30mm. Their minimum order is for £10. Strangely they take ages to send them if ordered online but much more quickly if you phone them. Dennis.

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/straps.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b'14 Silver Buckle.jpg   b'14 Reverse.jpg   b'14 Details.jpg  

Nice buckle Dennis, I like the simplicity of it

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Really like it Dennis. I dallied briefly with the thought of making a buckle earlier in the year but had gone off the idea. You've started me thinking again!

Very elegant and perfectly made, as always Dennis.

That's a great thing to make, Dennis, and I too like the simplicity and clean lines of it; not that it will have been simple to do. For me the reverse side is more interesting than the front because that's where you can see most evidence of the craftsmanship that's gone into it. I'd like to try something similar myself, though it'd have to be a bit simpler in my case.

Very nice Dennis. I love the simple elegant lines too.

Elegant and simple Dennis and beautifully made too. Many thanks for the tips on leather suppliers too.
    Jules

There's also Pearce Tandy in Northampton - although it's worth remembering that everything is imported from the US, which affect prices.
    Additionally, there's Abbey Saddlery - trade only, mostly traditional tools (and they're expensive pieces of kit, but fantastically well made).

This is lovely, very classic and stylish

That looks great Dennis. I'm always interested in your buckle posts and I've been toying with the idea of making one myself for ages. I find lots of Roman and Medieval examples that inspire me and believe it or not, some of these old examples would still look great today imo.

Nick