Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D printed ring

I'm trying to find a company who will scan small resin or plaster sculptures and scale them down. Just a bit of an experiment at the moment. I have quite a few old sculptures I've made over the years to play with.

Nice to see someone has had some success with NextDayWax, all I've seen to date have not been happy customers. Really interested to see your results with the DMLS too.

FWIW, I hit the same thing with jewellery CAD - used to speccing exact dimensions, suddenly having to go with "that looks about right" requires a bit of a rethink. Blender has a decidedly strange UI; I've not spent much time with it mostly because I have Rhino.

Weston Beamor have a laser scanner - not sure what size it will go up to, but I know they offer a service scanning engagement rings so a wedding ring model can be created that fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Binraker View Post
    The one from cookson is in 18k gold rather than palladium (They didn't give me any other options so I assume they don't do other metals)
    ok £90 for an 18k ring seems crazy cheap! It's all too confusing. I think I'll stick with hitting silver by hand.

Today I received another ring, This one from i.materialise.com, printed in silver/high gloss

photographed next to the NextDayWax one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4315.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	6114

(the right-hand one)

It took quite a while to arrive but the finish is very good. It was ordered on the 17th of April!! Cost: £26.
    It should be noted that the original model I sent to nextdaywax was the same as this one but nextdaywax claimed the shank was too thin to cast. So I drew the slightly thicker version (with a slightly slightly more sculpted knoble.)

for reference should anyone be interested the 2 cad files are shown here:

Name:	Screenshot 2014-05-13 18.11.36.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	6115 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2014-05-13 18.11.49.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	6116

I know its not quite a fair comparison.

I also took a pic on my phone of the Next Day Wak one before polishing and you can see the printing artefacts.

Name:	20140503_105514.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	6117
    Last edited by Binraker; 13-05-2014 at 07:26 PM.

The cooksons one arrived today. I have now put up the whole story and pics of all the rings on my blog:
    http://peterblacksart.wordpress.com/...t-with-more-d/

Very interesting, also top blog, It would be good if you could get one milled from wax, the surface finish is much better in my opinion less clean up required
    Last edited by josef1; 17-05-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Yes I have seen videos of the Roland machines that do that. Do you know the names of any companies that use them and I could try?

I think most of the main companies offer it you just need to ask for it.

Sorry, a bit new to this area, whom would you call the main companies?

Sorry should of been more specific there are lots of companies offering the service its usually called subtractive prototyping I do my own so cant really recommend anyone there are certain limitations as to what can be cut, due to the tool not been able to access all areas but the ring you have designed should not present a problem the surface finish is almost shiny if the model is cut properly and this makes for easier clean up after casting