Thread: HallMarking chain mail

Default HallMarking chain mail

Dear all

I need to send in some chain mail for hall marking. How do you do this where do you ask for the marks?
    Are there any special rules since its not soldered?
    do you use these tags ? NVB 003
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NVB_003X.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	6090

best wishes julian

I make my own tags, as the ones I originally sourced were very thin, with jumprings to match and when the first batch came back from hallmarking, they looked awful. In future, I'll probably get some thicker ones, as its cheaper to use my time elsewhere, rather than faffing about making my own. I've had earwires hallmarked and for bracelets and necklaces I would solder the last three rings where the clasp goes into and have my hallmark on the middle ring.
    Jules

I make chainmaille too, and so far, the Assay office have put the marks on the end jumpring, or on a tag, but I believe it has to be on a soldered ring, so that it cant be easily taken off.

Whenever possible, I have maille pieces marked on a ring - but they do prefer this to be soldered closed. If I use a tag, I just cut my own, usually round rather than oval, and again, attach this with a soldered ring. Which is slightly pointless as it's perfectly simple to open the ring it's attached to....

ok soldered.

0.8 mm and well as 1mm wire ?

Julian

It doesn't matter what wire it is Julian, from a hallmarking perspective, the ring where you want the hallmark placed, has to be soldered.
    Jules