Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw blades

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Saw blades

I've been using Vallorbe blades for a long time, but over the last year or so, my stock of old blades has gradually been running out, and as a result I've had to buy new ones.

And they're rubbish.

I thought it was just me at first, but no, pack after pack (in all sorts of sizes) which break, and more importantly, which blunt long before they should. Whilst I'm not in James' league, I spend a lot of time with a saw in hand, and this was getting to the point of being silly.

So I bought a selection of blades in the same size (4/0) and did some experimenting. In all cases I cut gold, silver, copper and aluminium sheet, as well as jump ring coils in silver. For reference, I use a Knew Concept saw with a tensioning lever.

I tested:
    • vallorbe
    • cookson own brand
    • crocodile
    • razor
    • herkules
    • relentless
    • laser gold (rio grande)
    • platinum king (grade 1)

The best, by a fair way, were the laser gold blades from Rio Grande. Next best were the relentless blades, which I managed to source in the UK (from alchemy and ice). Only these two compared favourably to my old stock Vallorbes. The herkules blades were OK, but wore out faster.

All the others became blunt and pretty much useless long before they broke - especially when cutting copper.

I included platinum king blades for cutting steel and heavyweight alloy, and these remained my first choice for these materials.

What did surprise me was how badly the vallorbe blades, which I had always considered to be the benchmark, performed. Their useful cutting life was amongst the shortest, and they were more inclined to break (yes, I did deliberately try to torture them into breaking) than almost any of the others tried, despite being amongst the more expensive choices.

I suspect that as a result, I'm going to be ordering a fair number of the laser golds from Rio, topped up with relentless blades when I need them in a hurry.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has had any similar experiences, or can suggest any others I should try out.

Oooh yes! Thought it was just me! I've given up on the Vallorbe recently as I kept snapping them, and I'm not a bad piercer. Also, they seemed blunt even when they were new, whereas I used to be able to cheerfully cut through 1.85 sheet with a 2/0 no problem at all.

I've been using the Platinum King ones and they are much better, but I'll check out those Laser Golds.

Actually George, I was going to post a new thread myself at some point asking how long a saw blade can be expected to stay sharp under normal conditions, my reason being that the Vallorbes I use (bought recently) seem to go blunt astonishingly quickly. I'm a complete novice, and though I've not had much trouble with blades snapping, I am finding that the Vallorbe blades I'm using are noticeably blunt after just 3 or 4 cuttings through a ring shank, say. I did feel this was not quite the way things should be, so I'm glad you've posted this thread.

I am wondering if the blades sold called Vallorbe are the same as the ones I have. My blades are actually labelled Glardon Vallorbe Super 2-0 etc. I am still using blades that I bought many years ago because I bought them in bulk from Eternal Tools when they stocked them (I bought 10 gross of each size I use) .I have not bought any of the Cookson's Vallorbe blades, are they the same as the Glardon blades? I say this as Vallorbe is an area in Switzerland and not just a company who makes saw blades. This is a pack of my Glardon Vallorbe blades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glardon Vallorbe 0 size blades.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	6089
    James

James, those are the same as my old blades - which were great. I wish I'd bought more when I had the chance.

Like others have said, I thought it was me. Mine blunt really quickly. That's a most useful trial G. Have you tried out any blades from Fischer ..?https://www.goldschmiedebedarf.de/in...2a&language=en
    Jules

I've also been disappointed with vallorbe blades from Cookies. I did get some laser gold from Rio and they were much better but all gone now. I'm planning a trip to Colorado next year so I may have to travel light.

Thanks for working this out and posting your results George. I suspected as much, but put it down to a sinister plot.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me. Dennis.

I have found the Glardon Vallorbe website in Switzerland and sent them a note to ask if they have changed their manufacturing process as the blades seem to be breaking quickly. I wonder if like James suggested that it is a different manufacturer, but as they come from that area have picked up on the name and decided to make a killing on it. Alibaba on the internet sell Glardon Vallorbe, but they are based in China so................... wonder if Cooksons have been duped.
    Has anyone bought Vallorbe blades from anyone other than Cooksons??????
    Since posting this I have looked at Suttons site, what they advertise as Swiss sawblades are according to the picture Glardon Vallorbe, not just Vallorbe. I have ordered some, so I will let you know how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I am wondering if the blades sold called Vallorbe are the same as the ones I have. My blades are actually labelled Glardon Vallorbe Super 2-0 etc. I am still using blades that I bought many years ago because I bought them in bulk from Eternal Tools when they stocked them (I bought 10 gross of each size I use) .I have not bought any of the Cookson's Vallorbe blades, are they the same as the Glardon blades? I say this as Vallorbe is an area in Switzerland and not just a company who makes saw blades. This is a pack of my Glardon Vallorbe blades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glardon Vallorbe 0 size blades.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	6089
    James
    Last edited by Patstone; 10-05-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Good bit of sleuthing Pat. Those on Suttons do look genuine. Come to think of it, the Cookies ones don't come in a packet these days, just in a plastic bag. They probably are knock-offs. Maybe Rob could look into it for us.