Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knew Concept Saw

Default Knew Concept Saw

After lusting over a Knew Concept Saw, I finally bought one, and have had a lot of blade breaking since. I bought 12 Vallorbe 2/0 saw blades from Cookies and have used nearly all of them over the course of a month, and probably broken about three or four at a time, which is a bit frustrating. Has anyone else had this problem, my old cheapie saw was fine, I have used Burr Life and beeswax and followed the instructions on setting the tension, is it possible it could be the blades this time. I only make small jewellery so not expecting it to cut 4mm etc.

You should be breaking less, not more. Maybe you're tightening them too much?

Mine either broke or buckled which is why I wasn't a great fan either Pat. Have used it a bit more recently. Your vallorbe blades should be just the thing for KC. I'm at a loss to understand why this saw seems to be great for some and not for others. I still like my ancient Eclipse but it's now 40 years old and not doing so well either

I have been using it for around two weeks, but not happy at the moment. My old one is an eclipse too.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I have been using it for around two weeks, but not happy at the moment. My old one is an eclipse too.
    Pity they don't make them anymore we could have saved ourselves a lot of money !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eclipse-PS51.../dp/B0043YJ0HI

and there are loads more on ebay.

I think a lot of the problem is to do with Vallorbe blades at the moment. But that's another post (which I shall write up in the next couple of days).

I can't remember the last time I broke a blade in any of my KCs. They do take a little bit of getting used to, but I cut across rather than forward for most things and I think this might make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eclipse-PS51.../dp/B0043YJ0HI

and there are loads more on ebay.

I think a lot of the problem is to do with Vallorbe blades at the moment. But that's another post (which I shall write up in the next couple of days).

I can't remember the last time I broke a blade in any of my KCs. They do take a little bit of getting used to, but I cut across rather than forward for most things and I think this might make a difference.
    George - have heard others mention cutting across rather than forward but cannot picture it at all. Do you have your bench peg on the side of your bench in order to do this? Sorry if this is a silly question Susie

I used an Eclipse for years but the nuts have grooves in them now and won't hold the blades. Just using a cheapo saw bought for my son to learn with but it works okay. I'll be very interested to read your post on Vallorbe blades George as I don't think the blades are anywhere near the quality they used to be.

I saw a post on ganoskin which said a lot of people over tension the KCs which leads to blades snapping. I have found that the vallorabe blades I bought ages ago last really well and did so in my old frame as well.

Where I find them snapping in my KC is at the tips. I don't like the way the blades are held in place as I now have about four blades so far which are almost unused and have the full length of blade teeth but are too short to use in the KC.

Liz, if they're snapping at the tips, the little grub screws that hold them in place may well not be set quite right. I had this happen with my first one, and it was just a case of turning the screw back by about 1/8 of a turn with a small allen key.

I'll post separately about the blades!