Thread: Did You Know This Already?

Default Did You Know This Already?

Burr Textures.

I’m not too fond of burr textures, because they are difficult to apply evenly and get a bit boring. However, if you don’t have a rolling mill, texturing hammers, or a frosting wheel, then it can be done a little better using a bent burr.
    Holding the burr with pliers, heat it at the neck with a mini-torch and while still red use a second pair of pliers to bend it just a little. It will now run eccentrically and by applying it lightly and keeping it moving around, it will create a more even texture.

Abrasive Disks.

If you use disks made from paper or plastic, don’t bother with a variety of sizes. Just order the largest, because they are easily trimmed while rotating, by holding the point of a craft knife, or a mounted needle against the smooth side. The tool needs to point in the same direction as the disk is running. Usually this is away from you and to the right, or below the centre.

Free Post Cards.

Don’t refuse free post cards. They are ideal for experimenting with shapes you will later want to make in metal. Once perfected, patterns can be used as templates to scribe around or glue on for piercing.

Stirring Times.

We all have bottles with solutions that have become too thick, or where the solids have settled. Add some solvent, or just water as appropriate, and a satellite or two from your tumbler, screw on the cap and shake well. A reassuring clatter will tell you that it is being restored to a smooth mixture.

Sorry if you knew this already. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K1 Texturing With A Bent Burr.jpg   K2 Cutting Disks To Size.jpg   K3m Free Post Cards.jpg   K4 Satellites For Stirring.jpg  

Great tips, Dennis!

I keep wanting to rescue some of that pebo resin but wasn't sure of the solvent or even if it would work.

You're such a useful chap to have around Dennis.

Brilliant tips. Thank you Dennis.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Every one of those tips is useful to me, thanks Dennis, much appreciated.

Thanks Dennis you're a gem!
    Sonia
    x