Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made to Order?

Default Made to Order?

Hi, I'm a bit lost as to what is the best approach to selling my handmade jewellery. I started selling mainly by word of mouth, and via my facebook page. Now also selling my work through a few galleries and via my website. But which is the best approach? I am finding the 'made to order' approach quite stressful to be honest, as already working three full days a week, along with family responsibilities (not much time when you have a 20month old little girl!!), I am finding I don't have much time! Then there is the sizing and pricing issues (which I am still struggling with arrggghhh!!). I love love love making jewellery, silversmithing, making bowls etc....and I love experimenting, being creative and making one off pieces......
    But when it comes to re-creating these pieces for an order....arrgghhhhh!! So what do you think, is it better to only sell one off pieces, and not do made to order at all?

Hi

Perhaps you have already answered your own question.

Also depends on whether you need the money from selling on a regular basis, there will be experienced sellers on here who can give alternative ideas.

JH

I think you may have answered your question too. It depends I suppose on what you need to get out of it financially or what you physically have time for. I'm like you and find commissions etc stressful and would much rather people buy a one off. A commission I got this weekend is fine because she wants to expand on the earrings she bought and match a brooch up to that so I'm happy with that
    I can see that with the time constaints of family you have to find what makes you happy otherwise there isn't any point. Mine is a health issue which means I couldn't commit to meeting orders so I stick with bespoke. We all have different reasons and commitments that effect the way we work, you can only find the one that suits you

It might sound a bit trite but you can only do what you can do!

I personally found that having a few "stock" pieces which sell well and I can make to order kept things ticking over whilst I did other more experimental stuff helped.

Like you I have time constraints on what I can do in the workshop due to family commitments and find I have to just do what I can, when I can.

You'll probably find it gets easier to balance childcare and workshop time as she gets older and a little more independent. You've found something you love doing and it's far better to have more enthusiasm than time instead of the other way round!

Incidentally I had the pleasure of introducing a small child to metal casting the other day....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01368.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	6072

Although I do some commissions, to be honest, I don't exactly welcome them. One-offs always take so much more time than my normal ranges and are not as cost effective, unless they're really expensive pieces.

All my jewellery is "made to offer". It's my full time job in addition to looking after 4 little people under 8.
    I think you have to be particularly fond of stress; late nights and be just a little neurotic

The problem is I love the challenge, and thinking about it, I thrive off the stress to an extent a love hate thing really!!)....but I want more time to create my own ranges, experiment and learn new techniques. I have only been doing this about a year and a half now. But I have jumped in at the deep end. Currently I am also training most weekends with a very experienced jeweller, and also once a month training with another excellent silversmith. Some days I feel like I am doing a juggling act!! So when an order comes in (and this time it was three orders in one week!!), there's a serious panic on.....
    So you see, I'm kind of toying with the idea of concentrating on bringing out a few ranges of my work, and just selling them as one off pieces, taking on commissions for similar pieces only by enquiry so I have the choice to accept or reject!! The problem with selling only one off pieces is, especially with the likes of rings, they won't fit everyone! But it means I can also fulfill my desire to experiment and learn, and be creative! Interesting to hear other folks approach to it all !

Looks like I've found a kindred spirit - totally know where you're coming from.
    My actual orders are forever getting in the way of actually being creative lol. If you're not depending on the income from it for the time being, I think you are thinking along the right lines. It's an enviable position to be in

What sort of things are you making? x

You must be doing alot of juggling Lucie, with jewellery making being your full time job and 4 little ones to look after!! I envy anyone with jewellery/silversmithing as their full time job! I work an an office 3 days a week....and spend those days dreaming of my work bench!! But I wouldnt beable to do what I do, and fulfill my passion for metal work and silversmithing if I didnt work those 3 days! Every cloud has a silver lining....
    So far I am still learning Lucie (do we ever stop learning when it comes to jewellery, silversmithing etc....)....you can check out some of my work so far here www.carolinestokesberrylee.com (you may have already on my website critque thread!)

Rings are the one thing I don't make purely because of the sizing so you could just take that stress out of the equation. I do work better under stress and with a deadline for exhibitions and such like but I think that's quite different to taking personal orders