Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a ring with a cutout

Default Making a ring with a cutout

What would be the best way to make a ring with a cutout to accommodate an engagement ring? It has to be made by hand and not cast and it also has to be perfectly straight on the back for engraving.

Do you have sketch Carol?
    Poor old Les

No, I haven't seen the ring yet Les. I'm just trying to pre-empt any problems.

Hi Carole,

Hopefully this helps,....I'm assuming that you need a shaped wedding band to sit alongside the existing engagement ring??....put a post it note around ring mandrel and slide the engagement ring on (so that it sits over the post it note),.....draw along one edge of the engagement ring, right around the mandrel.....remove ring.....remove paper and draw straight edge to desired band width next to(e.g 2.5mm away).....gives you the pattern to pierce from flat sheet.

Let me know if you need any further info!
    Tabby xx

Thanks Tabby. That's very useful.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I couldn't work out what you meant with a cut out! Doh, I was imagining pretty patterns in the metal down the shank. (I need more Tea!)
    The last time I did something like that for a fancy shaped engagement ring, I put it on the edge of a table with a post it note as I wasn't near my mandrel, that worked too. Great fit and happy couple.

Do give us some gorgeous pics when you are there

Well I very stupidly have a couple of women coming tomorrow to make their own wedding rings and they mentioned that they wanted them to fit around their engagement rings only after they had paid their money. I said send me a photo of the rings but they never did, so now I'm panicking a bit! Oh well, what can possibly go wrong?!

I am still not getting your idea Tabby, I think my head is still in the Alps
    Poor old Les

Thankfully they decided against the cut-out idea. Phew! Just got to polish and engrave now and they're finished.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Thankfully they decided against the cut-out idea. Phew! Just got to polish and engrave now and they're finished.
    phew! Shiny ending - always nice, when that happens