Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engraving / Etching

Default Engraving / Etching

Hi Everyone ,

I am wanting to create a floral pattern on various silver heart pendants but I would like it to be quite deep - something like this depth - http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...bLgW-jXV8g.jpg ... deep enough for me to patina, then sand and polish so the patina is only on the pattern. Any ideas how I would achieve this?

I have a quote for engraving from a lovely company for the pattern I would like which is very affordable, but I am wondering if engraving is too shallow, can depth be specified with engraving or is engraving literally surface deep? Or if not possible will I need to find an etching company? Any ideas how deep I would need it?

Thanks,
    Hannah

I'm gueng you mean a laser engraving company? I get some stuff lasered and its deep enough to patinate no problem. Etching goes as deep as you like (and the resist continues to resist - less if a fine design) as does hand engraving.

I'd probably just etch it myself, which gives complete control over the depth of the etch. I tend to use ferric nitrate rather than nitric acid now (because nitric scares the pants off me) and it's cheap and efficient.

For laser engraving, you can specify the depth, but the deeper it is, the longer it takes, and the cost goes up of course.

I etch using ferric nitrate too & having etched onto 0.6mm sheet have found that 1mm allows a good deep etch where the patina (platinol for me) that survives sanding & polishing well.

Mel

I would second previous speakers, etching is easy enough and you can do it yourself to desired depth. And if you want to produce a lot you can always then have them cast after your master copy.

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Can I ask you experienced etchers how you tend to go about getting the design onto the silver?

I'm understanding the pnp / laser printer part, but do you then use an iron to adhere the toner to the silver?

I've a decent laminator that I don't use and wondered if its just as easy to use multiple passes on a laminator as opposed to an iron?

Nick

I don't iron it on, I heat from underneath (unless its something flat, I use a little bespoke cradle made from bronze clay) either on an upturned iron or in a frying pan (I'm ~totally~ hi tech!).

For flat stuff I usually use photopolymer film because it's more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I don't iron it on, I heat from underneath (unless its something flat, I use a little bespoke cradle made from bronze clay) either on an upturned iron or in a frying pan (I'm ~totally~ hi tech!).
    Great idea Medusa! Last time I went to prep for etching I couldn't get the pnp to adhere for love nor money. I guessed my sheets had degraded, maybe I was just screwing it up? I'll try your way when my new pnp is delivered. Thank you!

Mel

I've never had any luck with pnp. total waste of time for me.

I've used pnp a few times and had really good results with it. The iron has to get to the right temperature for the pnp to adhere properly, it took me a few tries at least the first time and it seemed I spent a long time ironing. But you can get some very detailed intricate designs using pnp if you can get it to stick!