Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Engraving / Etching

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    0.25mm is possible with PnP, although it takes a bit of practice. A possible option would be to tape the silver to the PnP with e.g. Kapton tape, which is tolerant of heat.
    Would you believe it, I actually have some of that! (As a newbie with limited tools still, i am chuffed!!!)

That means I can crack on this weekend!

Attempt number 5 here I come!

Thanks a million!!!

You have? I have a 3 foot wide roll of the damn stuff... As well as more sensible widths.

When I've used PNP I didn't move the iron back and forth until I knew it was sticking. In the beginning I just lift and press the iron straight up and down with a piece of paper between the iron and the PNP. The heat tolerant tape sounds like a good idea though. Btw don't be silly like I was and forget to peel the protective plastic off both sides of your metal sheet if it has it. Ruined an ironing board cover that way!

Yep I do indeed have some...skinny width not like your mammoth roll Mr Bond!
    Hi Sandra! Yes I think I need to be a little more careful with the iron but the heat proof tape should also help I think.
    Maybe I also needed to leave it on there a little longer as the tutorial said 2 mins but I'm pretty sure the silver was much thinner than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seemed like I spent quite a long time with the iron, much longer than 2 minutes but my silver was probably thicker too. I discovered before lifting off the PNP just gingerly peel up a corner a bit while holding the rest in place - you'll know if it's ready to peel off the rest of the way and if not you can put keep on ironing. You can get some amazingly detailed designs when you get the PNP to cooperate. Good luck, don't give up!

Right ok the Kapton tape definitely kept it in place which helped massively however even though it didn't smudge as you can see the transfer has not exposed the silver where the lettering is. Any ideas what I did wrong?

This photo might show better!

Thanks all!

Am I reading that picture correctly - the toner has adhered to metal, but the blue film hasn't stayed stuck to the carrier sheet when you peeled it away? I've not seen that before. Have you tried gently dabbing it with the sticky side of some masking tape to see if removes the unstuck section?

Did you peel it off while hot or did you allow it to cool?

The toner printed onto the PNP ok but basically the whole lot transferred into the silver.

I'm wondering if I left the iron on too long?

Oh yes I waited until it was completely cool before I peeled it off.