Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Engraving / Etching

I've used it a lot for PCB development with some very fine traces. Occasional issues on large areas of toner with bits lifting, but they were always easy to touch up. It's also very effective on steel for pattern plates, for example.

I use the same set up as Andrew Berry. His excellent video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHMmP7wpskI =)
    Sian Williamson

I use a laminator, works great and much more reliable than an iron! Has to be the right one though!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    I've used pnp a few times and had really good results with it. The iron has to get to the right temperature for the pnp to adhere properly, it took me a few tries at least the first time and it seemed I spent a long time ironing. But you can get some very detailed intricate designs using pnp if you can get it to stick!
    heh, I never even get as far as ironing the damn stuff. it always jams in the printer/copier

I've done both the laminator and iron, but tend to just use the aga now!

Liz - are you trying to feed a whole sheet or just using a small section taped along the top edge over a draft print of the design - this seems to work far better for me (and saves on expensive pnp!)

I've tried both ways George. I just use transparency now.

[QUOTE=mizgeorge;65988]I've done both the laminator and iron, but tend to just use the aga now!

QUOTE]

ooh, I'm intrigued now G, which bit of the aga do you use, the hotplates, or oven(s)?
    Jules

The simmering plate Jules. My boiling plate was too hot, but the simmering one's just right after being open for a couple of minutes. I just pop the whole thing down on a piece of bake o glide and give it a gentle rub until it adheres. Doesn't take very long at all.

The roasting oven's great for age hardening Argentium though

Wink It seems so simple yet....

Hi all,

I also had a great idea to try out silver etching after watcing one of Andrew Berry's tutorials, it seemed so simple!

I bought everying I needed...PNP paper, Ferric Nitrate etc... it was going to be a great day....!

The strip of silver was 10mm wide by 70mm long and 2.5mm thick - which i was going to fashion into a ring after etching.

After 4 failed attempts, I was nearly pulling my hair out! (slowly my great day began to turn a bit sour)

Each time I tried to iron on my PNP, it would move and then smudge my image.

I tried not to move the iron much at first, then not at all....but still no use.

I know my image was small...i was trying to tranfer a sun design of about 8mm onto the 10mm wide strip.

I was also trying to etch some letters in font size 7 - these too smudged and only partially came out (some of the PNP transferred on, some didnt and some of the letters were only partially there due to the smudging).

How do you keep the PNP from moving and do you think I was being too ambitous with the fine detail that I was trying to achieve?

I am about to make attempt number 5 tomorrow and any words of wisdom to save my sanity are worth their weight in gold...well silver actually!

Thanks in advance!

Eve x

0.25mm is possible with PnP, although it takes a bit of practice. A possible option would be to tape the silver to the PnP with e.g. Kapton tape, which is tolerant of heat.