Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Assay Quality

Default Laser Assay Quality

I have to say I am very disappointed with the inconsistent quality of laser marks.
    Frankly i doubt some will be recognisable ager 20 year with normal where and tare. Some are already barely readable in a 10x loupe.
    Look closely at the lion and the leopard

The trouble I find with them is that you have to have polished the item before lasering as any polishing after will just remove the mark completely.

are those marks on finished items then? Must say, I've never been that keen on the idea of lasered marks.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    are those marks on finished items then? Must say, I've never been that keen on the idea of lasered marks.
    No they were semi finished ring shanks and and choker blanks ( polish length of wire mark in in several places)

so the marks don't polish out when you finish them? I think i'll stick with the old fashioned way.

I take care not to polish marks. that said this is my firs and last laser batch. I may use it for emergencies only but that is it

is this the stuff you just got back from LAO? They put their own sponsor mark on and not yours?

Here's a 3d mark from one of mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lao__mark.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	6068

(The black ink is for focus aiming...)

I've just had my first set of lasered marks done at Edinburgh but I made sure that everything was finished before I had them done, it was the only way I could have my domed pieces marked without distorting them and because my punch was knackered my whole batch had to be done, even the spoons. I'm not sure how hard wearing that will be and as Carole said the marks are so small I can barely read them. I'll probably use a mixture of both where appropriate