Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assay Disaster

So hear are the numbers;

Cost of silver GBP 135 Cost of assay GPB 51 Cost of postage GBP 10 total = 195

Scrap Value 174g = GBP 46.48 Charge for scrap = GBP 40 cost of postage GBP 10 total = -3.528 !

Which puts me 200 quid out of pocket!
    Oh! and to ice the cake if any one sends me a UK cheque it costs me about 25 to process it in the Netherlands!

The good thing is I have photocopies of the hall notes

No idea how this is going to pan out, but i am thinking of asking for 3 punches in different sizes by way of compensation so this never happens again. - Thoughts ?

J

I went to the one day visit last month and learned huge amounts. One demonstration showed that in old-style punching their skilled punchers can rectify lots of mis-markings. I suspect they will be able to re-do the laser markings as well.
    From the attitude to their work I reckon they will certainly want to put everything right at no cost to you.
    It is a public holiday in the UK on Monday so you won't hear until Tuesday
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I would have thought that laser markings would be much easier to rectify and it's only the makers mark. As someone who is just about to renew my old punch because it's done and get a second at £80 a time it's a costly affair. I would have liked to change the font but that would have meant re registering and paying for new punches on top
    I would see what they have to say before working out your losses, apart from the obvious mistake it will probably be rectifiable and won't cost you anything. I'm afraid that looking for compensation to that amount wouldn't be the road I'd go down

Hi Julian,

I've replied to this query on the other thread you posted with regard to lasers. You won't need to scrap any of it, as the sponsor mark we put on is for London Assay Office. It's not another maker. It is an "emergency" mark that we use for two reasons - firstly when someone has first registered and we haven't processed the application completely, which would include the creation of the laser software, and yet they still want their items marked, and secondly, when we have a technical issue with an individual's software file and we do not wish to delay a packet. The second option thankfully is really rare, but this was your first packet and we had a little issue with your software. It's all rectified now so we are happy to add your sponsor mark (you can have more than one sponsor mark on an item if you wish)

If timing for you is a serious issue (which is why we didn't delay the packet) particularly as you're based in the Netherlands, then as you chose to retain your own punch there is also the option of you adding your own mark yourself. (I guess that's why you kept your punch originally?) I do appreciate it's not ideal, but your punch size is 0.75mm which would be fine for rings.
    I do understand this is upsetting for you - let me know what we can do to rectify this.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    If timing for you is a serious issue (which is why we didn't delay the packet) particularly as you're based in the Netherlands, then as you chose to retain your own punch there is also the option of you adding your own mark yourself. (I guess that's why you kept your punch originally?) I do appreciate it's not ideal, but your punch size is 0.75mm which would be fine for rings.
    I do understand this is upsetting for you - let me know what we can do to rectify this.
    Steve,

First thanks for getting back to be on this, i had intended to phone today, but you have answered my questions. Every contact I have has with LAO has been a positive one so is was so surprised.

When the packet arrived I did not know who's LAO was, only later i learned it was the the assay office's mark. So I guess there is no problem adding my my own mark and there will be no confusion.

My reasoning for the laser marks for this batch was that i did not know what size would be used on the 1.5 mm wire items and therefore opted for laser so that you could add my mark. Would you have used .75 or smaller?

I really need to deliver on this batch, so I will add my mark and move on.

Kind regards

Julian

Hi there,

Your reasoning is sensible, as lasering does give you the flexibility. On a 1.5mm wire we could comfortably mark with a 0.75mm punch, that wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your understanding on this....