Thread: oxidising/patinating white gold

Default oxidising/patinating white gold

I'm pretty sure it's not possible but does anyone know of anything that may work?

I recall that iodine stains it, but I've not tried it.

I've just found this in the Kernowcraft website. Ingenious!

Applying to Brass or Gold: LOS does not react very strongly with brass or gold but works very well on copper so there are a couple of tricks you can use if you want to darken these metals. The first technique works on brass only & is to repeatedly heat & pickle your piece which will raise a layer of copper to the surface - this will enable you to darken your brass pieces much more strongly. The second technique works on brass & gold & it requires you to apply a thin copper plate to your item; this is not as difficult as you may first think! Simply submerge your piece in a pickling solution, along with some steel (you could include a piece of binding wire, steel wool or even dip some steel tweezers in there). The steel causes a chemical reaction which plates your piece (you may notice a slight reddish tinge to it). This fine layer of copper can then be oxidised using LOS in the usual way. There is no need to waste the pickle either because it will not be permanently contaminated – as soon as you take out the steel, it can be used for normal pickling again.