Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Solder won't flow - soldering bangle join

Yes Mark, but that raises some questions. Gas related accidents are not unknown and the buck stops with the installer. In the case of gas boilers, they should be inspected and serviced regularly by a qualified engineer.
    Last edited by Dennis; 14-07-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes Mark, but that raises some questions. Gas related accidents are not unknown and the buck stops with the installer.
    That's right, Dennis. What I was trying to say was that when you become responsible for making gas connections yourself (on soldering torches that have separate tanks), you'll be OK as long as you follow the correct procedures for setting up and operating your torch. If you're not sure what those procedures are then you would definitely be better to have someone else guide you through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Gas related accidents are not unknown and the buck stops with the installer.
    Don't I know it. I had a new gas boiler fitted a few years ago, and after a few weeks I noticed that the meter reading was increasing (though almost imperceptibly) even when no gas was being used. The fitter was called back and was honest enough to admit that a connection at the boiler hadn't been fully tightened.
    I learned two things from this:
    1). The buck stops with the installer, but you're the one who'll go up in smoke if there's a major fault, so it's a good idea to get to know a bit about gas installation yourself.
    2). Gas wants to do two things more than anything: 1. leak out of whatever is supposed to be holding it in; 2. combust.
    Mark.