Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solder won't flow - soldering bangle join

You shouldn't need to file the solder off, do as Carole says and if it looks as it it is melting and won't flow if you have a pick run it through the shoulder and along the joint and it should move. If you don't have a pick you can make one from heavy binding wire

Wooohoo! 4th time and it worked...thank you so much!!!! Feeling glad to be unstuck again!

AArrgh Nooooo! Just when i thought the solder had worked...i go to shape it and it splits! I'm losing the plot today

Despite your present success Eve, what you are experiencing is lack of heat from your torch. You can gain a little by improvising a kiln from soldering blocks, but ultimately you should be thinking of a larger torch. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s Improvised chamber for conserving heat..jpg  

Hi Dennis,

Crikey a larger torch for this little thing? Is it because its a thick guage (3mm) that is causing me the problem? (ive soldered wide rings before but only 0.7mm).

I have to say, the whole process has been a challange...getting the metal to bend...getting the join to meet (thank you vice!)...I didnt realise 3mm was going to be such hard work...seemed so easy in my head haha

I did manage to get the ring to glow a very bright red colour so thought the heat was ok, especially when the solder eventually flowed (albeit not as well as normal...i had two goes to get the join covered) but im a newbie who it losing her marbles with this darn ring, so I'm a sponge for any advice on this.

What would you recommend as a next step torch that would do the trick?

Many thanks for your wise words everyone...i dont know what i would do without you helping me!

Hi Eve, if you put 'what torch' into the search box top right, you get this link; http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sea...earchid=374590.

Quite a lot of reading, but the gist is that the EZ torch from Sutton tools is a favourite, but it needs a gas cylinder. You can struggle on a litle more by making a chamber to concentrate heat, or by using easy solder. Dennis.

Are you sure the edges of your metal are meeting, you maybe need to wire it up with binding wire to get a really tight join?

Quote Originally Posted by Eveness View Post
    I am looking to solder a mens ring which is 3mm depth and 10mm wide.
    I can only reiterate what Dennis has diplomatically tried to tell you; you need a bigger torch. Actually, I'd be astonished if anyone could solder a gent's ring 3mm thick and 1cm wide using only a Nimrod T-75 without the sort of problems you've been experiencing. A few months ago I was going through exactly what you're going through (and on significantly smaller stuff than 3x10 rings) until I bought a bigger torch. The small torches still have their uses, but reserve them for what they're good at, and let their bigger brothers and sisters sweat the big stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Actually, I'd be astonished if anyone could solder a gent's ring 3mm thick and 1cm wide using only a Nimrod T-75 without the sort of problems you've been experiencing.
    It's surprisingly easy with the right setup - and definitely on charcoal rather than solder board, but it does take a bit of practice to get it right. Sometimes the answer is actually two microtorches rather than one bigger one, both for accuracy and speed (as well as cost).

I still have a handheld torch unfortunately and have learned to adjust my designs based on what I now know my torch can handle. (I know I need to replace it!!!). Don't do what I did though by making a "kiln" using charcoal block pieces. I placed my piece of silver on charcoal and also surrounded it with charcoal to solder a larger piece that needed a bit more heat. It took a long time but the solder eventually flowed. Unbeknownst to me the charcoal had started to burn. Even though the charcoal was on top of a honeycomb soldering block and a ceramic tile, it burned through, cracked the tile and started to burn a hole through my workbench. Luckily I had returned to the workshop to turn off my pickle pot to find it before I burned down the entire house!