Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Card Machines

Default Card Machines

I have had a card machine for nearly 18 months, found out yesterday that the money I am paying is only rental, not off the purchase price of £99, feel hoodwinked. I was persuaded by the bank to go for this particular one as they thought it would fit my needs perfectly, they told me that I could buy in one lump sum and afterwards the machine would be mine, or pay £10 for 10 months and the machine will be mine, and any fees will be transaction fees only. Anyway, I am paying £10 a month plus transaction fees, does anyone have a better card machine or a cheaper deal, as I only go to craft fairs and they are monthly, sometimes two in a month, so I dont want to pay more than £10, I asked if they would give me a deal as I had been "hiring" for 18 months but they said it is still £99 to pay if I decide to go down that route.

How galling. I presume it's actually in writing somewhere that they were only renting? The usual 4 point text, buried in the middle of a long and tedious document?
    Which company is that, Pat?

Sounds like you were mis-sold. You could check with CAB or trading standards
    I switched away from card reader machines when the one I had bought was declared obsolete and I was told I had to get a new one at huge price with no special deal.
    I've now got one of those readers which plugs into my smartphone - and of course since I got it I haven't used it once so no idea how good it is.
    The market has changed with these plug in things but as usual the banks are plodding on with their old creaky expensive notions and haven't noticed that the world outside their little circle has changed and moved on.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I love my worldpay zinc. You can take telephone payments, send secure links for customers to pay invoices online and the card machine works wirelessly with android phones and iphones. Transactions are 2.75%, charged monthly, but if your monthly sales are large, you can opt for a £12.99 flat rate. The customer service is ace, and you can issue receipts at time of purchase to email or mobiles. I know I sound like I am brainwashed, but it is everything I wanted. It is currently 60 for the machine (owned) but I can give a referral link for a tenner off. You get charged for the machine on the monthly billing cycle, so you have time to try it out before you get charged.

The the sim card on my card terminal is, well terminating at the end of this month so I have to send it back. I've been paying £29 per month plus £14 for my merchant account. The company have offered to reduce the rental to £20 but it's still too much. When I did loads of craft fairs it seemed reasonable but it's definitely time to think again.

My bank, Santander supports iZettle but I can't take phone payments with that.

I'm definitely going to look at Worldpay Lydia, so I may be interested in that referral link.

Elavon done by recommendation of Santander. Mine is linked to my smartphone too, actually I use it with a 7 inch Nexus tablet as its easier for me, plus it gave me an excuse to buy a tablet too. I am not argueing that it doesnt work well, because it does, just that I thought I was buying it and expected the payments to stop, and they have gone on. I cant take telephone payments with it, but most of ours are face to face anyway. Definately going to look at Worldpay.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    How galling. I presume it's actually in writing somewhere that they were only renting? The usual 4 point text, buried in the middle of a long and tedious document?
    Which company is that, Pat?
    Last edited by Patstone; 29-04-2014 at 08:04 AM.

drop me a message if you've got any questions - will try and be useful! :-)

Thanks for that, I am waiting for a copy of my contract, basically to see if I signed for 10 months at £10 or £10 as a monthly hire. Worldpay is cheaper than Elavon by the looks of it too.

Hi Lydia, I would like the referrer link please as I've decided to go with Worldpay. I'll pm you.

Red face

Hi Carole,
    Hope you are as pleased with it as I am. My machine took about a week to arrive once I'd applied.
    This link should work for anyone I think. x
    ETA: Just seen the PM bit, it has been a looooooooooong day!