Thread: Customer communication

Default Customer communication

I've been asked to look at a ring for repair and it seemed the best way to break down what needs doing on it was to supply as much detail as possible.

Here's some of it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lateral2_resize.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	6035

From this, you should be able to see there's a couple of stones missing, the prongs need retipping, there's breaks in the head and I'm not sure quite what went on between the centre & left hand settings. Solder retipping of a claw gone wrong, perhaps? The customer has photos from every relevant angle so they can see what they're letting themselves in for.

No expensive kit, no fancy lighting - this is a bog-standard, inexpensive USB microscope; all in all, I think it's ideal for grab shots like this. It's not a patch on the photomicrographs I can get out of my proper scopes, but it doesn't take much time to set up either.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

very nice view - great close up and no dipping your head forward.

lots of lovely work for you too on that one. Now I am longing for a welder.... sigh...

Minimum 14 prongs, 5 breaks, 2 replacement stones and ideally redo about 12 beads. I think they might not go for the whole job, but this has sentimental value.

I'm fairly astonished by the USB scope - for the money, it's very useful. Rubbish instructions though.

Which one did you go for Peter? I keep meaning to get one and then get confused by what the specs mean.

It's the Veho VMS004; it does either 20x or 400x, but for this sort of thing 20x is more than enough.

I tried working with a scope and couldnt get on with it, I suppose you have to get used to it, which probably isnt instant, but longer than a retailers trial period. I wonder if one like this would work better. At the moment I am using an Optivisor with a No. 4 lens in it and reading glasses underneath, although more comfortable than the last one I had, it would be useful to be able to see things a bit clearer.
    Last edited by Patstone; 27-04-2014 at 05:58 AM.

While this does have live view (it's essentially a webcam with different lensing) I can't honestly see it being useful to work under; it's ideal for quick detail shots to bung an email out.

I dont necessarily need to work under, but it would be useful to see mistakes or scratches, have to rely on my daughter for "quality control". Mind you, if you have to magnify things to that extent to see flaws, the general public wont see it by naked eye.

A great close up, Peter, looks a nice bit of kit. Do you mind me asking the kind of price you charge for a job like this? Tell me to bog off if necessary
    Indi