Thread: Alternative jewellery welding machines

Default Alternative jewellery welding machines

Having looked into the technology behind PUK and Orion welders, they broadly seem to be sophisticated 'capacitive discharge welders' and cost more than most hobby jewellers (like me) can afford.

However, there are similar (not the same level of technology, but the same principle) machines available on Ebay sourced from China for around £250. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3011373359...84.m1423.l2649

Has anyone been tempted and tried one of these machines?

I can think of a few reasons I wouldn't touch it with a well-insulated bargepole.

One of the things about the PUKs & Orions is the support network; if you need spares, you can usually source them quickly. Similarly, if you hit problems with the machine, or have trouble with a particular piece, they're on the other end of a phone. In a similar timezone.

Additionally, I've seen a number of downright lethal electrical items shipped from China - proudly bearing a CE marking too. One particular delight was mains LED spotlights where the +ve of the diodes was floating live (half-wave rectification) and had no cover over the LEDs, so touching the bulb while on you would get a 230V shock.

Caveat emptor. I know buying through a local distributor costs more, but it's worth considering how much that actually gets you.

Thanks Pete, but I was after some objective experience. I do not have a £3-4 k budget so a couple of hundred makes it an option with risks attached....but what are the real risks?

There are a few sites that guide on building your own capacitive discharge welder and that is an option - http://frikkieg.blogspot.co.uk/, but there are much simpler approaches to build a welder with simple capabilities.

Just interested to see if anyone has walked this path already?

That is objective experience of dealing with low-cost electrical & electronic tooling from China. Buy cheap, pay dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyc View Post
    Thanks Pete, but I was after some objective experience. I do not have a £3-4 k budget so a couple of hundred makes it an option with risks attached....but what are the real risks?

There are a few sites that guide on building your own capacitive discharge welder and that is an option - http://frikkieg.blogspot.co.uk/, but there are much simpler approaches to build a welder with simple capabilities.

Just interested to see if anyone has walked this path already?
    Peter tends to give an objective and well informed view on things, I tend to agree with him on tools (and electrical equipment, even more so...but I accept my knowledge is sufficient on the latter, so always err on the side of caution), buy cheap pay dear/buy twice.....