Thread: Sizing Rings/Jewellery

Default Sizing Rings/Jewellery

Hello,

Just wondering what other jeweller's procedure/opinion is on this....
    When a customer makes an order for ring or bangle, and gives you their ring size/bangle size, you make the ring exactly to that size but when the customer receives it, the ring/bangle is too big/small. Do you refund if they return the piece? I make alot of made to order pieces, and so far only had one customer who had a sizing issue....and this was easily sorted as it was a plain ring band and easily adjusted. However with the likes of anticlastic rings for example, which can't really be resized so easily....what do you do if the piece does not fit the customer?

Thanks!

Well Karolina, it's really important that the sizer used by the customer is identical in make and width to the one you use. Then you probably know that. If you have the sizing problem quite rarely, you have to weigh your potential loss against goodwill if you re-make without charge.
    If it occurs frequently, you must re-think your procedures. Dennis.

I know this is a bit amateurish but I get them to measure with string, as I have found the little plastic ring sizers are rubbish, and like Dennis said other makes can differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I know this is a bit amateurish but I get them to measure with string, as I have found the little plastic ring sizers are rubbish, and like Dennis said other makes can differ.
    Same here. Or if they have an existing ring of the same width I ask for the diameter.

I charge for re-sizing as most of my rings are personalised and, therefore, non-returnable. For anticlastic rings and non-personalised, I re-make or re-size for free. I just look on it as building up stock.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    ......For anticlastic rings and non-personalised, I re-make or re-size for free. I just look on it as building up stock.
    Same here Carole....it is definitely a way to build stock.....for one off stones, such as opals, I treat those in the same way as you treat your personalised rings.

Is an anticlastic ring easy enough to resize? I assumed they wouldnt be quite tricky to resize? The one I am making would actually be referred to as a 'spinner' ring, with another small ring band with gemstone, around it.
    I have checked some jewellers websites and in most of their terms and conditions they do not accept returns on personlised or made to order pieces. I am just starting out with my own small business, so have to take costs of making another ring if the first doesnt fit. If the customer has provided you with the size, and it is made to that exact size, surely it is then up to the customer to pay for it to be either re-sized or remade?

Anticlastic rings are almost impossible to re-size. If you try to stretch them up the curve just flattens out.

I think with distance selling regulations, unless the ring is personalised, you have to accept it back even if you've made it to the customer's own measurements, if it's part of your normal range.

Actually, I was going to say you can resize them up & down by about 1/2 a size max by flattening the curve slightly or accentuating it...

Flipside of remaking is you have an item as stock back and not too much tied up in materials outlay.