Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi from Deepest Darkest Dorset!

Default Hi from Deepest Darkest Dorset!

After 10 years of doing nothing following an almost fatal fight with an 18 ton truck, I came to smithing almost by chance. I visited Flux 'n' Flame Jewellery School, a local school run by Jesa & Al Marshall, during Dorset Arts Week & became a student in Jan 2013. I'm now a silver addict with a small workshop at home, have just sent off my first batch to be hallmarked & have a small website. That said, I have days when nothing goes right & I know that have so much to learn. Feel free to call me Mel or CiH. I hope my name doesn't offend but I embrace my disabilities, they are what I am not who I am, but part of me nonetheless.

Hi Mel - I admit, I twitched when I saw the username; I've slopey-shouldered the responsibility of deciding how much it may offend people
    Jesa & Al are great people, both excellent teachers and the facility they have is fantastic.

So what do you make?

Hi Mel from me. If you have a disability you can call it what you like and stuff what people think! You could have been crippled by heels like most women. Looking forward to seeing your work

I guess my use of the C word is a defence mechanism, but if it does offend of course I'd change it. Thank you Caroline ^_^

I'm solely making jewellery. Mainly just silver with some stone setting & antique spoon/sugar tong jewellery. Trying to get the get-up-&-go to set some of my stupidly large collection as I'm selling at two events locally over the Summer. Yes the Marshall's are wonderful, very encouraging & great teachers. I've also done an etching course & I now use a lot of it in my work.

How do I attach my website address to my profile/posts?

Thank you both for the welcome

Welcome to the forum Mel. There's loads of wonderful people on here who are full of great advice, I'd be lost without this forum for sure!
    Your name didn't offend - in fact I find it inspiring how you've managed to come through such an awful experience and have a good attitude about it. If anyone's offended - that's their problem xx
    Sian Williamson

Hi Keia & thank you. I have looked on here for information several times but only recently registered. I use books and videos, blogs, vlogs & Pinterest to find information, so I'm sure this forum will become indispensable to me very quickly. I grew up being told "There's no such thing as too much knowledge." & have lived by that so I'm part self-taught.
    Re my disability - being bitter and angry is ok for a while, but letting it define you is the quickest way to being alone. So I slap on the lippy, a smile & heels (by necessity). If you can't laugh you're sunk.
    Right, off to get my back tattoo finished.......... x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cripple in Heels View Post
    I guess my use of the C word is a defence mechanism, but if it does offend of course I'd change it.
    Ach, I'm not bothered either way, personally. But I only speak for me

I'm solely making jewellery. Mainly just silver with some stone setting & antique spoon/sugar tong jewellery. Trying to get the get-up-&-go to set some of my stupidly large collection as I'm selling at two events locally over the Summer. Yes the Marshall's are wonderful, very encouraging & great teachers. I've also done an etching course & I now use a lot of it in my work.
    Hmm, should I be doing the recruitment drive for the ACJ Wessex group? Nah, I'll leave you in peace on that one for now...

How do I attach my website address to my profile/posts?
    If you edit your signature block, that should do it - although there's a block on posting URLs until new members have 5 posts to deter spammers. A bit.

Thinking about it, I know a few men who have been temporarily crippled by heels too.
    Some of them deserved it.

1. Good!
    2. ACJ Wessex? I'll come back to you on that......
    3. I'll try that & cross my fingers.
    4. Heeheehee! Me too & Eddie Izzard is my role model 😄

Thanks so much again x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd been thinking more of being trodden on than wearing outsize heels.

ACJW - https://www.facebook.com/acjwessex
    (Although I think you already found us!)