Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from East Anglia

Default Hi from East Anglia

Hi
    I've lurked for a while since discovering Cooksons and thought I should probably register finally. I've been an artist/printmaker for about 14 years and wanted to fulfil a lifelong dream of doing some silversmithing. What really interests me is putting drawings onto metal and I'd like to try things like chasing and repousse, cloisonné and so on as a means to do this. I've been metalworking for a couple of months, self taught, and am trying to learn the basics so I don't try to run before I can walk. Before that my only experience with a saw since school has been occasionally trimming a cockerel's spurs. I'm currently leaving a huge number of broken saw blades in my wake!

I may pop on with a daft rookie question as there are many things you can't learn from YouTube and books alone and it seems like a nice friendly atmosphere here.

Hi Emma. Yes it is a friendly place, so feel free to ask. There are a lot of very talented people on here just waiting for your questions! Not sure I can help much with chasing and repousse but I may be able to help a bit with cloisonné.

Hi Emma and welcome

I did quite a bit of chasing work at College a very long time ago and it was something I meant to try again as I really enjoyed the process. It would appear to be more difficult to get repousse tools as easily and I've only found them on the HS Walsh website at no small cost. I wouldn't know how many I would need to have a basic kit and James will tell us to make our own will wait and see what his reply is!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	6024 I made this hair clasp in 1979 think I'd need a refresher!
    Last edited by CJ57; 22-04-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks for the welcome and I love the hair clasp!
    I did look for chasing and repousse tools but there are so few about my husband is currently making me some as I don't feel I have the skills yet to do my own. I suspect I may be a nuisance to him once I get going and start to understand exactly what shapes I like or need. I have the Nancy Corwin book so we've really been looking at the shapes in there and making versions of them.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm as far as buying cloisonné wire thus far and am just doing some basic enamelling to get a feel for it and how they work. I need to get my head around the fact colours all need to be layered not mixed like paints can!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaC View Post
    I did look for chasing and repousse tools but there are so few about my husband is currently making me some as I don't feel I have the skills yet to do my own. I suspect I may be a nuisance to him once I get going and start to understand exactly what shapes I like or need. I have the Nancy Corwin book so we've really been looking at the shapes in there and making versions of them.
    I did a course with Megan a while back - I've got a moderate set of punches I made then (and have added to since). If I can help, give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I did a course with Megan a while back - I've got a moderate set of punches I made then (and have added to since). If I can help, give me a shout.
    I may well get back to you on that too Peter if that's ok, I would have thought there would be sort of half a dozen shapes that would cover most things, we were spoilt by a large selection at College!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaC View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and I love the hair clasp!
    Thanks Emma I was doing my thesis on Art Nouveau and got a bit inspired.
    Lucky you with the husband making your tools will be interested to see how you get on. It's all the pitch and mucky side that would probably put me off now!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I may well get back to you on that too Peter if that's ok, I would have thought there would be sort of half a dozen shapes that would cover most things, we were spoilt by a large selection at College!
    NP. Half-a-dozen is definitely a good start; I've actually got the steel sat here for me to make up some sets, but as with so many things it's a question of the time to get it done. Figured that I'd do the heat treat en masse, with everything wrapped in stainless foil to prevent oxidation.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Many thanks I may well do that!

I'm starting with a small selection until I understand what marks they make and if anything turns out half decent I'll post a picture!