Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from East Anglia

FYI, I bought my red pitch from Karl Fischer. It doesn't adhere as well as black bitumen pitch, but it smells a lot less, cleanup is easier (dissolves off in meths) and it doesn't get everywhere.
    (But I still have the pitch around for some things too).

Delrin & brass punches are useful to have, particularly if you want to move the metal around without putting dents in that then need to be planished out.
    Make sure your posture is good for this too.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    FYI, I bought my red pitch from Karl Fischer. It doesn't adhere as well as black bitumen pitch, but it smells a lot less, cleanup is easier (dissolves off in meths) and it doesn't get everywhere.
    (But I still have the pitch around for some things too).

Delrin & brass punches are useful to have, particularly if you want to move the metal around without putting dents in that then need to be planished out.
    Make sure your posture is good for this too.
    Many thanks for your help, I may have to get back to you about the brass and delrin tools as I have no knowledge of them at all. I'll check out the pitch as well. Apologies for the late reply, I don't get on the computer much these days.

Hi Emma, welcome to a lovely and supportive forum with a high degree of tolerance for newbie questions and general tomfoolery!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaC View Post
    Many thanks for your help, I may have to get back to you about the brass and delrin tools as I have no knowledge of them at all. I'll check out the pitch as well. Apologies for the late reply, I don't get on the computer much these days.
    Megan is keen on them - the brass ones are quite nice for undercutting work & giving it greater separation from the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebo Von Gaz View Post
    Hi Emma, welcome to a lovely and supportive forum with a high degree of tolerance for newbie questions and general tomfoolery!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Megan is keen on them - the brass ones are quite nice for undercutting work & giving it greater separation from the base.
    Ah okay thanks. I had a bash at the weekend but the pitch I currently have is way too hard for the repousse aspect, cools very quickly, so just taken out a second mortgage for another pitch bowl and some medium pitch. Found a guy on eBay who does California pine pitch, and had 20% off which was lucky. Of course now all I need to do is learn how to actually use the tools. I may be some time!

Harder pitches give sharper detail too, remember. It's much more difficult to get definition if the pitch happily squishes away from you as you're working - it has to give a bit, but not too much.

The pitch I have is actually Cookie's engraving pitch, since I had a mind to try engraving but discovered my Lyons engraving tools don't really work so well on metal. I've only engraved wood or resingrave, and it's a totally different discipline. I'll bear in mind about the harder pitch thanks, I am really into detail and did get some nice crisp lines with it. I need to get my head around it as draw right handed but am hammering with my right hand and guiding the tool with me left, so basically need to become ambidextrous!

Ah... That stuff is for gluing work in place so it doesn't move. I don't know much about woodcutting, but I think the cutting geometries are different - don't know if the steel hardness is as well.

Yeah I know the pitch is probably not ideal, but since I've got into doing the jewellery I'll face either bankruptcy or divorce if I keep buying more tools, so it's a case of trying out things I have to see if we can multi-task a bit! Then I can say but I really, really, do need it, honest!
    I think the geometry on the tools is probably different, having said that I have seen artists use them on copper for making printing plates. I think with engraving anyway it's beneficial to know someone who does it who can mentor you because it is very difficult to become skilled at it alone. Sharpening the tools is an art form, let alone the usage of them