Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men's jewellery

Default Men's jewellery

I've had a review by someone asking why I don't do more men's jewellery. The main reason is that I don't know what jewellery men wear and my stuff is all a bit girly. I do a couple of rings and some cufflinks which sell well but I'd like to extend my range.

The question is, what sorts of jewellery to men like? I was thinking maybe about bangles and belt buckles.

I don't wear any, but that's being my age. Looking around, especially in the men's department of the big stores, here is my list:

Ears
    One hoop, or a single stud with CZ, or diamond.

Neck
    Plain chains, thin-usually gold, or heavy-often silver.

Wrist
    Heavy chain bracelet.

Finger
    Signet ring, plain-shank thumb ring, or ring with skull and other 'masculine' images.

Tie pins and clips, cuff links. Dennis.

The youth market for jewellery is huge - with beads featuring heavily, especially the surfer styled stuff. Tend to be in more masculine colours, but other than that, very similar to that which the girls are wearing.

Leather and waxed cotton based pieces seem to be particularly popular at the moment, especially finished with sterling.

Cufflinks are very much back in vogue - even for teens. The quirkier the better!

One of the big differences since I returned to jewellery full time is the number of men who now wear jewellery. Rings are my best sellers. They are the heavy silver Celtic pattern bands with some of the sizes being huge!Lots of thumb rings too. Some finger sizes now are so much bigger than in the 80's both women and men. Also pendants again Celtic sell well. As George says it seems to be more surfer type things wrist wise and also the charity bands. Cufflinks are also popular.

This was the last ring I made for a man, he was actually a vicar, 18ct gold set with a square Swiss blue Topaz.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164a DJW topaz ring.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	6016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164b DJW topaz ring.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	6017

Thanks for all the help.

Just out of interest, did you cast it? If not, how would you get such a thick bit where the stone goes, or is it hollow in front. So many questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    This was the last ring I made for a man, he was actually a vicar, 18ct gold set with a square Swiss blue Topaz.

James

Name:	164a DJW topaz ring.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	6016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164b DJW topaz ring.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	6017

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Just out of interest, did you cast it? If not, how would you get such a thick bit where the stone goes, or is it hollow in front. So many questions...
    Pat, this ring was solid and made by casting after I had carved the shape I wanted in wax. I used Ferris green wax which is quite hard and can be easily filed and carved to shape. The photo is of the wax ring shape I carved.

James

Name:	Ring wax DJW.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	6018

Do many men wear signet rings these days?

I have a couple of signet rings, but I only wear one at a time, usually only when I get suited up.

James